Paint 92 Taurus in Starsky & Hutch Colors?

I am 18 years old and have a 1992 Ford Taurus as my first automobile. It is a v-6 engine with 118,000 miles on the odometer. I am excited by having my own set of wheels. The Taurus does not make me popular with the ladies, but I am an all around nice guy which helps offset my uncool ride. The Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino is wayyyy coool in my book. I'd like to paint my Taurus red and have that beautiful white bold stripe on the sides. It would look way cool and I think this would be my ticket to the ladies. My uncle advised against this and predicted it would look hideous. What do you Ford guys in the know think of my plan?

Reply to
Stanley

Thomas Moats

It looked hideous then, it will look even more hideous now. But....It is your car.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Umm, ewww comes to mind, but that's yet another opinion.

Reply to
BK24

Hey, you are 18 yrs. old... i was once also.. and at 18 you know it all.. so dont let anyone tell you anything different... but can you afford all the spray cans of paint for that car?? and does it come in the shade of red you want??????? if you go to earl schwab(sp?) and get the $29.95 paint job.( when i was 18 the price was $19.95), you better take some newspaper and tape up all the area you dont want painted as they will paint anything that is not covered, glass, chrome, wheels, you name it they paint it.. labor cost money to cover the area not to be painted...

Reply to
jim

Paint 92 Taurus in Starsky & Hutch Colors? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Dec 25, 2003, 11:08pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Stanley)

I am 18 years old and have a 1992 Ford Taurus as my first automobile. It is a v-6 engine with 118,000 miles on the odometer. I am excited by having my own set of wheels. The Taurus does not make me popular with the ladies, but I am an all around nice guy which helps offset my uncool ride.

Reply to
Eric Toline

I can just feel the Christmas Love on this post!

Paint 92 Taurus in Starsky & Hutch Colors?

Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Thu, Dec 25, 2003, 11:08pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Stanley)

I am 18 years old and have a 1992 Ford Taurus as my first automobile. It is a v-6 engine with 118,000 miles on the odometer. I am excited by having my own set of wheels. The Taurus does not make me popular with the ladies, but I am an all around nice guy which helps offset my uncool ride.

Reply to
Merc

"Stanley" wrote in news:26KGb.406097$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

You want to go from uncool to untouchable? Do it!!!!!!

Reply to
donutbandit

As a female that used to be 18 I'll answer you. I never judged a guy by his car or lack of one...I could drive and had a car so I wasn't worried about it. I wanted someone I could talk to. More importantly though is you don't want a RED car as the attention you'll attract is police. What color is it now ? Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

As an adult, I'd say save the cash for a better next car.

Thinking back to my 18 year old days, I say, "Dude! That car would ROCK! Oh man! You gotta do it!"

But, keep in mind that this is coming from a person who, at 18, re-wired Xmas lights to run on 12V DC and, at Xmas time, put them around the edges of the two rear side windows in my hand me down 1976 Chevette. Of course the cops pulled me over relentlessly, but I never was issued a ticket, and I eventually wired them to a cig lighter plug so I could use them sparingly.

If you do go with the S&H paint scheme on your Taurus, you MUST post pics for us to see!

Good luck!

Reply to
Rutger6559

I myself am now 21 and in college now. My first car was a 1986 red chevette in highschool. I had the crappiest car on the lot, but had no problem with the ladies. I somtimes thought that it would have been so awsome to take a bunch of spray paint to it and make it look better. Then my dad told me the story of how my older brother an his first car. In highschool my older brother took his beat up ugly rambler and spray painted it an ugly green. He then preceded to take a bunch of sticks and put them in the front grill to look like teeth. Indeed the car looked like a monster and so thought the cops. He recieved so many tickets that he could almost never afford the innsurance. My advice is that you might as well leave the car as is. The car is a 92 and will eventualy start running into repair trouble down the line as my 92 thunderbird is now. It would be best to save the money toward something else. However, like everyone else this is only my oppinion and if you do decide to paint it...I gotta see the pictures! Take Care and Good Luck, Darrenoid

Reply to
Darrenoid

I would keep it in the original color; it's bound to be a better paint job than anything you can do less than $$$$.

Maintain it. Make it worth keeping. See if you can keep it faithful to you,

Then your attitude (if not your car) might attract a lady who it worth keeping, too,

And those (if not the cars) are worth a thousand times more than the rest.

Trust me :)

Soren

Reply to
Soren Kuula

I wouldn't paint the Taurus, if you want a car that looks like the striped tomato better sell it and get yourself a real Torino.If you give that car the S&H colors you're bound to pick up some dames, 50 year olds but dames nonetheless.Just kidding, i kinda like the tomato but only if it's a mid seventies Torino. If you don't care about the model then why not paint your Taurus bright hemi orange?You can have a cool number on the doors, flag on the roof, a wicked horn and best of all with the doors welded shut it'll be a blast watchng the chicks get in and out of the car :) My point:do what you want to do and don't let anyone else decide for you.You're 18 only once and everybody's got the right to do something weird and stupid every now and then. Just promise us all one thing, if you go ahead with it please post the pictures, i just gotta see that.

grtz sax

Reply to
Saxomophone

That is the point.. "You are 18 only once.." Have some fun.....just do it SAFELY... 2x18 years from now you will have your own story to tell, that you gained from this experience..Rock on young man..!

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

Get a job and buy a REAL Torino rather than being a poser like all the wanna be ricers ...

I saved up my money and had the best car in the high school parking lot, you can do it too.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Paint the car black. Paint a orange stripe down the bodyside and go up & over the wheel openings. Paint the headight leses amber, put 3 silver dryer duct tubes on the trunklid and you'll have a genuine Batmobile.

Seriuosly, keep the $$$ & just invest in keeping the car running and spend the $$$ elsewhere where it can be put to good use.

I put mega bucks into an 68 year old buick when I was 21. The floorpans were gone, trunk floor, quarter panels & front fenders were gone. Had dreams of a complete restoration but no body shop would touch it. One guy even joked I was going about it the wrong way. He said you don't restore the PARTS car you restore the good car......I told him that CAR is the good one....I don't have a parts car..

LOL

Good luck !

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,329 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I'm currently 28 years old and own a really cool set of wheels that suits my need in its orignal form. When I was 18, I never had my own set of wheels. I didn't get my own car until I was 24 years old. My parents wouldn't buy me a car when I was in high school. They made me work my ass off to earn it. I'm glad I worked to "earn" a better car that suits my needs. My first car was a 1994 Taurus. I bought it as is and maintained it as is. The car was red and it in fact attracted cops. I got pulled over by a cop 3 times in that car for speeding. My insurance is already through the roof.

I now own a 2002 Taurus SEL Premium. That is the top of the line Tauruses built today. It is grey with dark charcoal leather interior, 6 disc CD changer, rear spoiler and etc. Chicks really dig my 2002 Taurus mainly because of its original paint job and features. My car has a "luxary" package and is fully loaded. I love my car more than the chicks digs it. That thing got a 3.0 Liter 24 Valve Duratec V6 engine. That thing is pretty fast for a V6! It was built on the same engine block as the Jaguar X Type.

Let me tell you, I think that painting your '92 Taurus in S&H color is ridiclous. It will attract more cops than chicks making them (the cops) think you souped up your Taurus. It's only my 2 cents.

Anyway, you can be 18 only once and just do whatever you want with your '92 Taurus. As you get older, say, 10 years from now, you'll understand what most of us Ford nuts mean. Happy Trails, Kiddo!

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

Keep the $$ under the hood and in the chassis & suspension. Get a decent mid-level sound system, if you have to, but keep the family sedan look... this is very impressive especially to the girls' parents... which is actually your main objective in the long run... you want their parents to beg them to go out with you instead of the ricers or IROCs. Only you and your friends will know what the car is actually capable of once the sleeper mods have been executed properly!

Most of the advice in response to the OP here is from the "School of Hard Knocks" and has years of common sense and life lessons behind it. BUT, it is hard to follow at 18!

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Unlike everyone else here, I think the paint job is a great idea simply because it's funny. The ladies will certainly notice you in a ride like that, but however you handle it from there is up to you.

Something you might want to do is scan in some photos of the car and "paint" it with some software to see how it will look. You could also sketch it out on paper. What made the S&H stripe look good (subject to opinion) is that it complimented the body shape of the Torino. The Torino had a lot of hard corners, a long hood, and long doors, while a Taurus is heavily rounded. It might be an awkward match.

I agree with previous posts that said to make sure the engine, etc were in good running condition. Other things you should spend your money on first would include a 4-way lug wrench (easier to bust the lug nuts loose with this) and the longest heaviest set of jumper cables you can afford. I'm talking about the kind of jumper cables that a tow truck driver would be proud to own. Don't worry about spending mega bucks on these since this set will last you for many decades and many cars.

Another thing you might consider buying before the paint job is a code scanner so you can read the diagnostic codes when your check engine light eventually comes on. A good investment if you plan to work on the car yourself and plan to buy other Fords in the future. A Chilton or Haynes service manual would also be money well spent.

One last thought: If you do this paint job, your car will stand out so well that everyone in town will know it on sight. When I was in high school and cruising around with my friends, I liked the idea of flying under the radar in my Mom's LTD Country Squire wagon with simulated woodgrain on the sides. I suppose it all depends on your defenition of the word "party".

Email a photo of the car to me if you ever pull off this paint job.

Christopher

Reply to
Christopher

Trying to make a 92 Taurus cool?????? Hmmmmm never happen!!!

But, on second thought lets take some tips from the lowider & import crowd. The paint job: try for a nice metallic blue or red. Lose the stripes. Find a body kit to give it a SHO look. Next tint the windows. This is a greenhouse on wheels so the tint helps keep it feel & look cool. Just don't go too dark!!! Wheels........ Save up on the cash or hope to find some junk yard gold mine. Just remember bigger is better to a point. And get the right offset. I hate seeing 2" of wheel hanging out a fender. Performance? Hey, this is a Taurus! Don't bother too much here. Some plugs, A K&N filter, new muffler and a few other tweeks. Graphics???? Replace the stripe with some graphics. Maybe a Bull somewhere ( ala the Trans Am birds). pin stripes might work too.

This should make your Ford alot better. Bye BYE!

Reply to
Tiger