Painting a Sable Mirror Cap

Hello all,
I'm replacing a mirror cap on my wifes '01 Sable. The replacement part was supposed to come "all primered and ready to paint", and when I opened it up,
it was just a flat black plastic with a slightly rough surface.
My question is: Do I need to primer the black plastic before painting, or is it ready to paint as is?
Derek
Derek Gee wrote:

plastic. Do yourself a favor and take it to a body shop and have it done right. If you paint it with a can it will look like crap in about a year of weather.

Why do you say that? If I primered the cap, put on 2-3 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear-coat, why would that wear off so soon?
Derek
Derek Gee wrote:

and polish your clear coat it should work. (Assuming you are using the proper basecoat clear coat paint). The spray bomb paints available at parts stores are close to garbage as far as longevity.
Derek Gee wrote:

someone knows of a paint in a can that can stand up to the sun please let me know. Maybe you could find a good clear with UV protection....????? I've tried Dupli-color. I found an awesome match but it just won't last.