Panel light trouble, please help!

I own a 2002 Ford Taurus SEL. I am having trouble with the panel light (the light behind the speedometer) on my vehicle. In extreme cold temperatures, say 15 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. When I turn my headlights on, the headlights would come on, but the panel light would not come on and the directional lights would come on. If I leave the headlights on for 20 - 40 minutes, the panel light would finally come on. I've been having that problem since Thanksgiving '03 and could not troubleshoot it. I'm not sure if it's the wiring problem.

I tried taking my car to several dealers and get it fixed. Those dealers kept telling me the same thing, "We are unable to find anything." My car is still under extended warranty. Does anyone have similar problems as I have before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone know what the problem is with the panel light, just tell me and I'll kick those dealers asses.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

================= Sounds like a bad ground...As to where it is, sorry dont know.

Reply to
Scott M

CyberWolf,

If the problem goes away when the vehicle warms up a bit it is very possible that the vehicle operates correctly when it is at the dealer.

If the dealer tech cant verify the problem, there is nothing for him to fix. He can try wiggling some wires, do a visual check but any component testing is going to come out ok since it is working at the time of testing.

You need to make arrangements to leave the vehicle overnight on a cold night (watch the weather channel). Be at the dealer the next morning so the tech can go out to the vehicle with you when your vehicle is first started. Hopefully the problem will reveal itself.

The tech will then take further action. But problems that go away are really nasty to find. It is possible OASIS has something on this if it has occurred before or the dealer can call Fords Dealer Tech Hot Line and talk to an engineer who will search a database for similar problems and fixes. He will probably suggest a course of action.

Now about your extended warranty. Depending on your warranty it may not cover a wiring problem. If it is a component problem you have better chances of it being covered, but you do have your deductible to think about. In any case I wanted to let you know that you may or may not wind up paying for the problem.

If this problem started when you were under basic warranty 3/36 and it is documented at the dealership they may be able to continue the coverage as an ongoing problem.

Anyway, I hope this helps

L.

Reply to
J. Louis