parking brake level does not return - 90 taurus

The parking brake works ok and hold the brakes when pushed. However, when I pull the release lever, the cable does not return completely and the brake light remains on. I can lift up the pedal (it has slack) and
the light goes off. Or I can tug the parking brake cable under the driver side door and that pulls the pedal to shut off the light. Problem returns when I push the pedal again.
Is it the brakes or the parking brake cable nut in front of the rear wheel that needs adjustment. Please help ...

A 1990 is it? Find someone to get underneath the car to spray down the cable and housing with some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench, or do it yourself. That's penetrating oil, to mitigate all of the rust and/or whatnot that is likely preventing the cable from traveling in the housing freely. Spray the whole cable where it has a housing on it and apply/release apply/release a few times to what happens. If nothing does better get those brakes looked at by a pro.

replace the cables to thr rear wheels .... is that a drum brake setup? or rear disc if its rear disc you should replace the rear calipers as well