PCM Computer burned out a plug pack.. 2008 Fusion

2008 Ford Fusion 87K miles.
  1. ENGINE STARTED RUNNING POORLY AT STARTUP AFTER WORK.
  2. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS FLASHING.
3.MADE IT HOME WITH NOT MUCH POWER AVAILABLE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON CONSTANT NOW.
  1. NOTICED A BURNING SMELL.
5.TOOK IT TO A SHOP TO CHECK THE NEXT DAY. THEY REPLACED ONE OF THE REAR PLUG PACKS. IT HAD BURNED UP.
  1. THEY SAID TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER FOR A COMPLETE FIX. CAR STILL RUNNING POORLY.
  2. TOOK IT TO THE DEALER THE NEXT DAY. 6/13/2103. THEY SAID THE PLUG PACK BURNED UP AGAIN AND I WOULD NEED THAT REPLACED AGAIN PLUS A NEW COMPUTER WHICH BURNED UP THE PLUG PACK.
  3. THEY SAID THE NEXT DAY THAT THE PARTS WERE ON BACK-ORDER AND IT WOULD TAKE A FEW DAYS.
  4. THE PARTS ARE STILL ON BACK ORDER. (ALMOST A MONTH NOW). CAR STILL AT THE DEALER. USING MY BACKUP CAR AS DEALER HAS NO LOANER. 7/6/2013.
  5. Finally got the car back. 7/16/2013. A little over a month at Ford. They replaced all 6 coil packs, spark plugs, and the PCM, which was the main problem.Very expensive job. Evidently they had problems with this PCM so they went to a different manufacturer and that caused the backorder.

So far with this car its been a high cost of ownership. Bought new. First major problem was the front right wheel was wobbling and almost fell off. The main wheel bolt had worked loose. Fixed by tightening at Ford. Second major problem was it needed a new AWD driveshaft as it was making a grinding sound. Very expensive. Fixed at Ford. And now this. Also very expensive.

Reply to
Fred

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:04:09 -0400, Fred wrote in Re PCM Computer burned out a plug pack.. 2008 Fusion:

I had a 1995 Escort 5-spd bought new. It was the most trouble free car I ever owned.

After 180k miles I wanted a new car in 2005, but they no longer made the Escort so I bought a Focus 5-speed.

I'll never buy another Ford product again.

Reply to
CRNG

Documented in the NHTSA list of TSB's for the 2008 Ford Fusion at

Ford TSB-13-4-17 can be found at
and may be covered under the powertrain or emissions warranty.

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Anyone know if the PCM/COP problem occurs suddenly, or over some period of time ? Is there anything to watch for ?? Any symptoms before the CEL comes on ?? Any preventative steps an owner can do ?? Any possibility this occurs more often after long drives (vacation trip, etc) vs short in-town trips ??

I see by the TSB they have a cutoff build date of 3/2008. Mine was built 12/30/2007. Any chance dealers can/will replace parts before actual failure ??

The TSB does not mention the "plug pack", which I assume is the wiring connector to the PCM. If necessary, would it be replaced under same warranty as the PCM and COPs ???

Being retired, I don't drive it a lot. Only 28000 miles on 2008 Fusion SE V6. Will probably hit 8 years way before 80000 miles.

Reply to
Retired

that's because there's no such thing. Many people incorrectly refer to COP-style ignition coils as coil packs, because they still think any car without a distributor has coil packs (instead of COP, which came next in Ford-land).

Plug pack is a bastardization of that slang.

IME, of course,

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

you misunderstand a TSB's purpose. It is to help techs diagnose a pattern failure. Note it states:

"IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB."

It's not a recall.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Ford called them "ignition coil-on-plugs" on the bill.

Fred

Geoff Welsh wrote:

Reply to
Fred