PCV valve question, 1998 Escort

Investigating a recurring stumble at idle on 1998 Escort. This "went away" for a while after putting it in for service, then came back.

Found that a lot of air was leaking around the outlet pipe of the air cleaner, pulled it all apart and cleaned the joint, screwed it up tight and that seems to have made a big difference to idle performance.

However something is weird about the PCV valve.

Please look at (it's a hires photo, zoom in). Around the center, between cyl head cover and distributor, you see the PCV valve. The "sock" clamped onto it is something the repair shop put on. Follow the pipe down and you see there is oil gleaming around the bottom of the pipe, where it goes into the engine block.

The bottom (fat) end of the valve used to be held by some piece of pipe or a molded rubber adapter that matches the wide OD of the fat valve to the thin vacuum line that runs down to the engine block. The repair shop broke this piece and the "sock" over everything is a nasty hack that is now leaking oil. I don't recall seeing oil around there before they messed with it.

I have a new valve but not sure how it was originally fit... I am guessing the valve originally pressed into a grommet down the bottom, and a single thin vacuum line ran all the way up from there?? Is that right, or is there a standard piece that adapts ~1/4" vacuum line to the fat side of a push-in PCV valve? Searching for "escort PCV valve grommet" shows me pictures of something not much bigger than an O-ring.

Thanks.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

You can buy a replacement tube assembly that goes from the intake manifold to the PCV valve (and includes the PCV valve) for about $20 from Ford. It consists of a hard plastic pipe covered with the soft rubber insulation that keeps the vapor from freezing up in the winter or getting too hot when the engine is running. I had to replace mine on my 97 Escort because the rubber elbow at the intake manifold was rotting.

There is a large rubber grommet on the pipe (vapor separator) that bolts onto the engine block, but it's not sold by Ford separately from the separator assembly. It may be available aftermarket thru Dorman and their Help! line of products, or just pull one in good shape off of a junker.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Excellent info, thanks. I was getting confused by the fact that _EARLIER_ model years ( (I think up to 1995 or 96) did put the PCV valve directly down in the grommet.

Reply to
zwsdotcom