Pics of 08 F150 paint flaking

Here is a link to the photos of the paint flaking on the 2008 F150.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37803331@N03/sets/72157617267464095
This is a work truck, and they were ordered in that color, that is not
a repaint.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:06:14 -0700 (PDT), Picasso

The dealer can tell you what he wants, and you can say what you want - that truck WAS a repaint - and a poor one at that. That truck left the factory blue - or at least the box did.
Absolutely no question, from the picture.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 26, 7:29 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What you are seeing may be the camera playing tricks
that is bare metal, not blue paint. there is no evidence anywhere on this truck that it left any color other than yellow.
There is no paint overspray anywhere... no paint on rubber gaskets, or headlights, etc etc etc... i assure you, that is bare metal and not paint, and this truck came factory with that color
If i sitll had the window sticker you would see that the color is stated as "school bus yellow"
the only repaint was the front fenders which are painted black when it got to the dealer.
Add pictures here
✖

Can't blame the truck though. That is an ugly color.
I would flake paint off if I were the truck, too. I haven't seen a color that ugly since I changed a dirty diaper.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖

haha, well i'm sorry, I didn't pick the color. I wish they would just use white or another color too!
Anyway, the company buys 5 or so of these every year, and they are all doing it, from 05 to the 08's. (we bought 04 heritages, not the new style). None of the pre 2005's did this.
How were the plastic fill necks on the pre 2005's attached??? the 2005-present style appear to be freewheeling in there... i wonder if this is causing it??
Add pictures here
✖

That is a piss poor example of the factory doing a horrible prep job on your fleet paintjobs.
Beside all that, it looks like that paint is already chalking. It looks like they shot it with the most ancient alkyd enamel in school bus yellow they could find.
And you are right, no evidence of primer under the paint. Looks like shit to me.
I used to paint them for a living, I know.
Add pictures here
✖
Looks to me like someone couldn't aim a gas nozzle to save their life....

Add pictures here
✖

Good lord boys... I'm tellin ya, this is nothing to do with abuse at hte gas pumps. look closely at the pics and you'll see no evidence of any scratching or chipping.
I assure you I take good care of all my vehicles. this is about the 10th ford i've had in 14 years of driving. I have never had any problem with paint peeling or chipping on any ford, and in general, all fords i've had have fairly good paint.
I am not one of those incompetent pumpers you are referring to, and I always make sure the cap is hung up on the hook on the gas door so it doesn't dangle down and scratch the paint underneath the door like you see many people doing.
Add pictures here
✖

Good lord boys... I'm tellin ya, this is nothing to do with abuse at hte gas pumps. look closely at the pics and you'll see no evidence of any scratching or chipping.
I assure you I take good care of all my vehicles. this is about the 10th ford i've had in 14 years of driving. I have never had any problem with paint peeling or chipping on any ford, and in general, all fords i've had have fairly good paint.
I am not one of those incompetent pumpers you are referring to, and I always make sure the cap is hung up on the hook on the gas door so it doesn't dangle down and scratch the paint underneath the door like you see many people doing.
In the first few pics I was in agreement that it looked like poor aim with the gas pump and inconsiderate (from the truck's point of view) handling of the nozzle. However, the last few pictures put no to that and jogged my memory. My wife purchased a Mazda Protege (the four door sedan model) in the early 90s, IIRC. It was painted "chrysanthemum" (maroon almost). Within several months we had a very similar problem with the paint work. Started on the door edges, around the filler pipe flange, the edges of the hood and trunk. As time went by - chips began to appear on the flat surfaces in both exposed and protected areas. At first it was "parking lot dings", then "rock chip", and lastly the extreme cold here in Alaska. Bottom line, once Mazda agreed that it was a paint problem not rocks, dings or cold, they agreed to repaint it. After several resprays, at their expense, they finally found that it was the primer. They were experimenting (I guess) with a water based (IIRC) etching primer. The acid in the primer was not completely neutralized when dry and was reacting with the paint coat(s) and the clear coat... It looked very much like your pictures. Just my tuppence worth....
DaveD
Add pictures here
✖

Dealer will repaint, and use urethane calk prior to installing the plastic fill neck that has play in it causing the flaking.
Add pictures here
✖