Ping - Backyard

Back in October we chatted briefly about poor A/C in my '93 Cougar. You said I should check back with you in spring so here I am.
The refrigerant seemed right last fall but I haven't put guages on it yet
this spring. A dealer did the "O" ring refit a couple-three years ago. I have a suspicion something isn't right in the air handler since blower noise is awfully loud but airflow is modest. The fan had been extra noisy since the car was new. I heard rumors of faulty assembly on some of these where levers didn't match the vanes in the air handler but can't figure if it applies here.
I have worked on auto A/C since the 70's so I have some basic knowledge. Any idea where to start? We can chat here or feel free to email directly, be sure to remove the obvious munging of my address.
Thanks!
--
PoD

Blessed are the cracked:

You should have climate control, right? You mark the free range with cables off, then see what happens with them on.
Not sure what you mean by 'noisy'.. mine is a little loud, but normal sounding as to composition of sound.. ie loud 'whoosh'
If the blower itseld isnt moving much air and has bearing or rattle noise you should fix that before addressing charging it.
you pay..DEAL with it!
No climate control - basic manual control. When I say loud, I mean if you're sitting in the passenger seat with the fan at full, you can't hear the driver speak. It's been that way since new - the dealer replaced the fan motor 3-4 times and said all was OK. It's a very loud WHOOSH, you'd expect to be pushed back in your seat from the force of the blower.
I plan to pull the blower and look for obstructions like leaves and crap but it was clear a year or two ago. This has been my only real complaint about this car, feeble A/C and deafening blower noise. I haven't dug out my a/c thermometer yet but the air that does come out seems quite cold. I'll figure it out - but I don't want to pull the dash - I did that on my '84 Bird and still remember the cuts and scrapes.
Thanks for the commiseration - I'll keep you posted.
PoD