Ping in '87 302 w/EFI

I recently bought an '87 van with a 302 with EFI. I get some slight pinging when I accelerate hard or when I come to an upgrade at highway speed. Seems to run fine otherwise (except occasional erratic shifts
feom the AOD tranny). Our other 2 cars use gas from the same station, a name brand, so I don't think that's the problem. Does the 87 have a SPOUT connector with a timing jumper? I can't seem to locate it. Is there some other procedure on 87's to check the timing? Any ideas what could be causing this would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom
thomas_graham opined in

Follow the harness from the distributor... or look for the eec test connector.
Every ford I've seen the spout is near the Ignition module
Should be 10 deg
Have the codes read
Update: I found the SPOUT connector. I get 10 deg BTDC with the jumper out, and a bit over 20 with it in. What shouldI check next?
thomas_graham wrote:

thomas_graham opined in

stored codes..
Are there any OTHER problems or inconsistencies?
And I dont recall is this port or cfi injection? Does it have MAF? I doubt it, but who knows and I too lazy to look it up
IIRC, he'll have 8 injectors, no MAF.
BTW, you can get a flashing light code reader with book for about $25. Well worth it.
CJB

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Other than the occasional erratic shifting mentioned already, it starts from cold at a somewhat high rpm, and at high road speed in AOD, the engine seems to not be able to get to higher rpms. It does not have an MAF sensor, and has 8 separate injectors.