Ping in '87 302 w/EFI

I recently bought an '87 van with a 302 with EFI. I get some slight pinging when I accelerate hard or when I come to an upgrade at highway speed. Seems to run fine otherwise (except occasional erratic shifts feom the AOD tranny). Our other 2 cars use gas from the same station, a name brand, so I don't think that's the problem. Does the 87 have a SPOUT connector with a timing jumper? I can't seem to locate it. Is there some other procedure on 87's to check the timing? Any ideas what could be causing this would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Reply to
thomas_graham

thomas_graham opined in news:QHued.50797$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

Follow the harness from the distributor... or look for the eec test connector.

Every ford I've seen the spout is near the Ignition module

Should be 10 deg

Have the codes read

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
thomas_graham

thomas_graham opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net:

stored codes..

Are there any OTHER problems or inconsistencies?

And I dont recall is this port or cfi injection? Does it have MAF? I doubt it, but who knows and I too lazy to look it up

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

IIRC, he'll have 8 injectors, no MAF.

BTW, you can get a flashing light code reader with book for about $25. Well worth it.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Other than the occasional erratic shifting mentioned already, it starts from cold at a somewhat high rpm, and at high road speed in AOD, the engine seems to not be able to get to higher rpms. It does not have an MAF sensor, and has 8 separate injectors.

Reply to
thomas_graham