pinging 97 Taurus

My 97 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan is pinging under load. No codes, no Check Engine light, idle seems to be slightly rough with the warmer weather. I use good gas always from the same station.

I did plugs, wires, and all filters about 9 months ago (~8,000 miles), and run mobil1 synthetic & Purolator oil filters.

What should I be looking for?

Reply to
Teknical

I would look for loose or disconnected vacuum hoses, although surprised no codes are being thrown.

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Not sure about the 3.0 but when the 4.6 pings it's usually the MAF (mass air flow sensor). Does the 3.0 have injection and a MAF? Easy fix. Involves cleaning.

Reply to
F.H.

Use a higher octane.

Reply to
Robin AndrePont

"Teknical1" wrote: > My 97 Taurus 3.0 Vulcan is pinging under load. No codes, no > Check Engine > light, idle seems to be slightly rough with the warmer > weather. I use good > gas always from the same station. > > I did plugs, wires, and all filters about 9 months ago (~8,000 > miles), and > run mobil1 synthetic & Purolator oil filters. > > > What should I be looking for?

try a professional injection cleaning (motorvac). typically weve seen injector nozzle buildup cause a pinging condition as well as carbon buildup up on valve stems and piston tops. motorvac will do away with both.

Reply to
hothead

Reply to
coryrhonda