Pinging Jim Warman again..

Hi Jim.
Brad from Calgary writing, again.
Hope you are well. :)
Being back again, you know I have a problem I hope you can help with.
But first....a little local Ford update
I traded in my sweet 5.0 for a '93 Cobra I brought up from the States. Man, does this car rock! 235hp? LOL! And, I just got a 2006 Zephyr. I hope this is a good car, cause I love it. Anyhoo...
My 1980 Bronco is not running now... I smelled what seemed to be rotten eggs (sulphur) and when I got home, I saw the driver's rear tire (and the driveway) is covered in fluid. Brakes or axle, but not sure which. I did both about two years ago but didn't do the brake cylinders or lines. I can't see what's wrong with it... just fluid everywhere.
I need this truck pronto so it's going back to Advantage... any idea what this is so I have some idea what this might cost?
Thanks as always!
Brad
Hey, Brad... sorry it took so long for me to get back to you... I'm breaking a new service manager and life is a wee bit "interesting".
I'm not sure about your sulphur smell... I have to wonder if it isn't oil or brake fluid that has gotten hot inside the brake drum... that can really stink... but again, not like sulphur... feeling the offending fluid for slipperyness and/or odor may give a clue as to whether it is brake fluid or diff oil...
I hope you aren't getting the weather we are... it was -3 yesterday... damned near shirt-sleeve weather. Woke up this AM to -26 and it is now (9:30) -28 (-40 wind chill).
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hi Jim.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Brad from Calgary writing, again.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Hope you are well.&nbsp; :)</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Being back again, you know I have a problem I hope you can help with.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>But first....a little local Ford update</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>I traded in my sweet 5.0 for a '93 Cobra I brought up from the States.&nbsp; Man, does this car rock!&nbsp; 235hp?&nbsp; LOL!&nbsp;&nbsp; And, I just got a 2006 Zephyr.&nbsp; I hope this is a good car, cause I love it.&nbsp;&nbsp; Anyhoo...</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>My 1980 Bronco is not running now... I smelled what seemed to be rotten eggs (sulphur) and when I got home, I saw the driver's rear tire (and the driveway) is covered in fluid.&nbsp; Brakes or axle, but not sure which. I did both about two years ago but didn't do the brake cylinders or lines.&nbsp; I can't see what's wrong with it... just fluid everywhere.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>I need this truck pronto so it's going back to Advantage... any idea what this is so I have some idea what this might cost?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Thanks as always!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Brad</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

does this car rock! 235hp? LOL! And, I just got a 2006 Zephyr. I hope this is a good car, cause I love it. Anyhoo...

(sulphur) and when I got home, I saw the driver's rear tire (and the driveway) is covered in fluid. Brakes or axle, but not sure which. I did both about two years ago but didn't do the brake cylinders or lines. I can't see what's wrong with it... just fluid everywhere.

Sulfur smell from the rear axle would almost definitely be gear lube. That stuff really stinks! Probably you blew out the seal at the end of the axle shaft, but maybe the oil was able to push past the seal without actually knocking it out. It is possible that the seal simply failed on its own from age/wear or it could be that the axle vent - the thing that sticks out of the brake line T on the axle - is plugged. When the vent gets plugged the air in the axle heats, expands and pushes oil out the seals.
You will certainly need the gear lube replaced. You will also need to pull the shaft and inspect the seal and bearings on that side. You should also inspect the vent tube & fitting to make sure they are clean.
Calvin