pinging problem

99 Winstar,3.8,auto,AC.Ping strtd 10 months ago. Check eng light came on. Never checked codes(didnt have means). Bought scanner and found P0174 stored. Cleared code and it hasn't come back. Checked for vacuum leak w/ carb clnr and gauge read 15-20 inches and steady at idle. No vac leaks.Tried higher octan fuel,no good.Had injction systm cleand.No good. Swapped Known good MAF, no good. Replaced one questionable down stream Ho2 no good. Fuel pressure ok(32-40). Fuel does not look contaminated. Don't know where to go from here.
Reply to
RMcCafferty

Ping is detonation. My stang does it all the time when a) weather gets hot, or b) I use anything less than premium. Of course, I have the timing set way high. Thus, I would say go with the highest octance, but in a Winstar? Maybe timing? Worth checking.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

The common cause of pinging and a code P0174 on 3.8 Windstars is leaking intake manifold gaskets. P0174 indicates bank 2 is lean.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Uhm,Brad, the 3.8 Windstar is DIS. You can't adjust the timing. Also, unless he got a bad batch of fuel, this is not a fuel problem. Higher octane fuel will not fix the problem.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Have you checked the EGR? No EGR will cause a ping - but USUALLY will also throw a code. When does it ping?

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce