plastic gear lever top. (humour)

Has the little plastic top of any of your gear levers come of. The one that tells you where the gears are: 1 3 5 2 4 R I find it can be quite annoying, that if my hands are even the slight
bit sticky, the plastic sticks to my hand and when i take my hand from the stick after changing gears the plastic flys of and down between the seats. Now you can guess how dangourous this makes driving. in fourth gear, about 50 miles an hour , looking under the seats trying to find this little oval shaped piece of plastic. It can be especially annoying when you have just down shifted to overtake and it flys off, totally distracting you from the car in front and on the other side of the road. The rubber at top of gearstick seems to have worn away enough so as not to hold this piece of plastic in anymore.
Vick.
they make a substance to cure this problem. it is called glue
I am going to try sellotape sticky hook and loop (velcro) first because thats what i have lying around.

Clean the oil's left behind from your hands. Glue the little oval back on. Have you ever thought that you really need it any way? You ought to know what gear you are in.......sort of like not looking at the keys while you are typing?

If i was to leave it off, it leaves a unsightly look to my gear stick. Thomas, i believe that you are a much better typer than i am. I would compare knowing where each gear is to knowing where the brake clutch and accelerator is. thanks for the reply, thanks for that link to auto.howstuffworks website also LATER

Have
gear
typing?

Does it have a set screw to hold it on? Most have an allen screw.
not this one.
http://www.ukcar.com/road_tests/Ford/escort/1.8-ghia-estate/gearstick.jpg
maybe the auto gearsticks do.