Plastic Plugs in Mazda M50D-R1

I have a 1996 Ranger 4 cyl with the 5 speed M50D-R1 5 speed and it supposedly has 3 plastic plugs which can deteriorate and cause the loss of the ATF fluid. I recently had some work done and we checked for these plugs
and the mechanic said they were probably on the front side of the transmission and not accessible without pulling the transmission. Is this true and if not how do you get access? TIA

He's wrong. They are just behind top of the transmission, where the shifter enters the transmission. You can barely see part of them by looking from the tailshaft forward.
CJB

They're the size of freeze plugs, but because of their location they're hard to see. You can feel them easily if you know where they are.
CJB