Please Help 1992 Ford Crown Victoria

This problem pertains to the Air Suspension on my crown vic. I know that i have a small hole in the left rear air bag however i'm a college student and can't afford the "right" fix at the moment. The newest problem is that
the compressor that pumps up the air bags has just stopped completely and within 10mins driving the "CHECK AIR SUSPENSION" light comes on. I am however a mechanic student so i'm somewhat handy though inexperienced. I've tested the simple things like fuses/relays and they're OK I know the compressor is on the left side under the hood i just can't locate it and if i did i wouldn't know what to do with it other than whack it with a big hammer haha (i'm a bit frustrated with this problem) any suggestions regarding the compressor and or patching the air bag are greatly appreciated.
dwebjr wrote:

The air springs cannot be repaired. They dry out and crack from age. Not replacing the leaking bag has likely overworked the compressor and worn it out. At this point, you have no choice but to fix it right. 2 air springs and a compressor. I say 2 bags because they are the same age and the 'good' one is guaranteed to leak very soon.
http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid1_pid9.html
You might try Ebay, but used air springs are a real crapshoot and usually not worth the effort.
Tom Adkins wrote:

THANKS...
The driver's side is always dropping, those are MUCH LESS expensive than what FORD quoted last week...
I am opening up a beer right now and will drink it in your honor...
Really made my day with that link :)
--
Don't drink water, fish have sex in it!

thanks for the information and the link i appreciate it i guess i've just got to bit the bullet and replace them then.
Or you could consider the conversion kit shown on the link Tom provided - for $181. you eliminate the air - which you probably don't need.
Coil spring conversion kit. (New) Our coil spring kit converts the air suspension system to a dependable high quality coil spring system. Our springs are designed to give your vehicle a smooth ride. Springs fit perfect in the seat without welding to suspension. The kit includes detailed instruction.
dwebjr wrote:

..and rip out the annoying "check air suspension" lightbulb after.
Tom Adkins wrote:

I think it would be cheaper to change them with coil springs. should be able to get a couple coils for around the same price as the bags & compressor.
I'm not sure if its a direct swap from a coil spring car to an air ride car or not ... (might be nice to pick up one from the junk yard)
Tom Adkins wrote:

actually, i just scrolled down on that page that Tom posted, and there is a conversion kit bags-coil. Wonder if thats a pair or a single coil
Picasso wrote:

That price is for the pair. Standard CV springs aren't a direct swap, these are formed to fit the air spring mounts IIRC. It's a good alternative and should work well, but I've never done this on a GM. The Lincoln Mark VII conversions are not impressive and border on cheesy, those I have seen.
The job is not that difficult. I did it in the driveway a couple of years ago. I was fortunate and got to it before the pump failed, tho. I highly recommend finding a real FORD shop manual before starting. The directions were clear and there are a few tricks to watch out for. Manuals can be found on CD rom or paper on EBAY for cheap.
PoD