Please Help, I am broke down

Car is an 94 escort station wagon,1.9L motor. Don't think it's related but who knows, I just put a new thermostat in it tonight, and took it for a ride, and had not gone very far(a few miles) and it quit running.(It did not overheat) I coasted to the side of the road, and tried to start it, it will run for about a second. When I turn the key off and on again I can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds,and I'll crank it, but like I said,it only runs for a second or two. I can hear and feel ,the fuel pump relay click when I turn the key on, and click again when the pump stops running. I did check the impact cut off switch in the back, but it was not tripped. Is it possible the relay is bad? I didn't think they went bad too often,but it does seem like the fuel pump is not staying running. I have to a least get this car home, and I can't afford to take it to a garage. Any Ideas?

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

Anthony,

K so we know we have a 94 Escort with a 1.9L, but where are you located? I am thinkin this might be cold related, and I dont think it has anything to do with your fuel pump.

What did it do when it quit? Did it sputter out over a distance, or just up and DIE? Were there any unusual noises before it quit? Has it done this before?Have you checked your fuses in the fuse panel to see if any are blown (technically they are called open)?

I would start with a more accurate description of what it did when it died, and I would check ALL the fuses in the vehicle. Start with the ones under the hood and then go to the ones in the fuse panel. Sounds to me like the PCM fuse might have an open.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Yea, it's cold here, I am In Wheeling WV. I had to leave it there and walk home.want to at least get it running to get it home. No, no noise just quit real clean. No spitten or sputtering. AAMOF I didn't even know it died, as I was kind of coasting along, just when I tried to give it a little gas I knew it had stalled. No, never did this before. This car has been real good to me. Did *Look* at the fuses under the hood. But it was starting to get dark, and I also did NOT have a test light or meter with me. Is the PCM fuse under the hood? I'm going back up tomorrow,trying to get some ideas 1st. The reason I suspected the relay is it felt like it was running just long enough from the fuel from when I cycled the key.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

It's normal for the fuel pump to come on for a second or two when you turn the key to the run position before starting the engine. This primes the fuel injection system. Then the pump goes off until you turn the key all the way to the start position. If the PCM didn't have any power (open fuse) the fuel pump wouldn't cycle in the run position because the PCM controls this process. The pump should come on again when the starter is cranking the engine. It may be difficult to hear the pump running, over the noise from the starter. The fuel tank is below the rear seat. Maybe you can have someone get in the rear seat and listen for the sound of the fuel pump running while you crank the engine. Another way to determine if the fuel delivery system is not working after the engine starts for a second, is to spray some carb' cleaner into the air intake duct before the engine quits. If the engine keeps running (roughly) until you stop spraying, you have a failure in the fuel system. This test will require a helper too. I'm trying to figure out how working on the thermostat could have done something to the fuel system. It doesn't seem likely since the thermostat is not located near any of the fuel system componants on the

94' Escort. See if you can keep the engine running with the carb' spray and then get back to us.
Reply to
Fordfan

Yea I know it's normal for the pump to run for a few seconds with the key in the run position. So if it *IS* doing this it won't be the PCM fuse then right? Well lets see, changing the T-Stat, I had the coil off,I would say maybe the connection at the coil,but like I said it does run for a few seconds. Also had the top of the air cleaner off,so maybe I need to check the connector there, (Mass Air Flow Sensor?) This sucks, I need to get to work tomorrow. I don't really have any helpers either.

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

Well got it running but don't really know how. Checked connection at MAF sensor, No start, connections at coil, no start. Checked fuses under hood, looked good,Pulled the fuse marked Fuel INJ. put back in, no start. Checked fuse under dash marked engine,looked OK but replaced it any way.Still would not run for more than a second. Well then I tried it a few more times and it ran. So I got it home and wiggled all the connections I had apart when I did the Thermostat, and also the fuel pump relay connections and I think it's the EEC power relay beside it, but could not get the car to die. So I'm at a loss, unless the fuel pump is starting to go bad. Thanks for reading and your thoughts and suggestions. Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

I'd be interested to know what caused the problem if you do figure it out.

Thanks

Reply to
Fordfan

So Would I So would I! Still running no problems. Like I said, It really acted like it was just running off of the initial fuel it got from when I 1st turned on the key. Thanks, BTY the old t-Stat must have been fine, the temp gauge still reads the same. (about the "N" in NORMAL)

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI