Please I Need help with 99 Ford Taurus, thank you

My Odomiter sometimes sticks at 0 and my transmissison locks in a lower gear, after a while it shifts normal, when it's not doing this it's acting fine. This occurs after warm up and on the usually
under highway conditions. my Taurus has 61k and needs a tune-up.
hopefully it's not a biggie,
whadda think?
I would suspect the vehicle speed sensor (VSS)