point of info on PCM's...

I feel ornery as he!! today..(can you tell?)

Everyone with a car that has the battery charging voltage regulator in the ECU, please respond!

But I'm wondering if the guy MIGHT have meant the the Vref regulator... which could be a switcher, thus COULD put out 22 volts... though that would at least blow the BAP and probably the MAF

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

How do you get 22 volts on a 12 volt system? The maximum voltage produced on average from a automotive generator is 14.5.

Reply to
pick one

I've got two. A 95 Dakota and a 98 Intrepid.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the charging system.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

An unregulated automotive alternator will put out hundreds of volts.

5 or 6 years ago, I had a bulkhead connection get rotten from age on my 70 'cuda, voltage at the battery was 12.6, voltage at the alternator output terminal was over 300 volts.

I don't remember exactly what the spec was but the voltage fed to the electrically heated windshields in full sized Fords and Mercurys was in the hundreds of volts category.

Reply to
Neil Nelson