Police cars and rear doors

I just purchased a 1999 Ford police car and now I need to know what to do to get the rear doors to open from the inside. I suppose something has been disconnected or removed inside the door. Also, I could use
some hints on how best to proceed in disassembling the door trim. There must be a cool trick involved in removing it without doing damage to the plastic.
James

likely removed also. You will have to buy a new one for each rear door if it is missing.
The trim around the handle just pops off, there are a few screws around the panel, remove them. After you get all the screws out, the panel lifts UP, then comes right off.
While your in there, do the windows still roll down? If not, check the wires at the switch for being cut or disconnected.
James wrote:

yes, get the shop manual and learn how the door trim is removed... thats the best advice you could get anyplace and you gonna need the repair manual later for other fixes......
is it not just a simple switch like the child proof switch on my minivan?

before you take anything apart, check around the door latch itself on the door. It may be a simple matter of turning off the child lock on them.(small semi flush switch/lever)
Robert

I dont know about the doors, but you better check under the seats for weapons and drugs. It's common for criminals to stash these things under the rear seat. I know this for fact, because I have a friend who is a cop, and he said he is always finding stuff under the seats. He said he has made a habit of checking regularly, but not all the cops do it, so if he changes cars, he does a check.
look in your owners manual. there should be a switch on the door jamb to disable the inner latches
Falcoon wrote:

An owner's manual, I do not have. But thanks for pointing out the location of those switches. Unfortunately, moving them did not enable the door handles. I think the cops must assume the bad guys know about the switches and therefore take more extreme measures to disable the doors.
James

doors.
========================== Every police interceptor I have seen (about 200 or more)come from the dealer with the inside handle rods removed. It is a rod that goes from the door release handle to the latch. I suppose the department could order the car with it and the dept just unhooked it and its still in the door, but not likely. Either way remove the panel and have a look. After getting it loose, it moves straight up, then off. (unless they changed it after '99, but I doubt it) GL
Scott M wrote:

Thanks for this addendum. It's the advice I'm gonna act on. In fact, I'll be dinkin' around with the doors this afternoon.
Did I tell you I got this car for thirty five hundred, including tax and fees? I'm still smiling.
James

How many miles?
The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

97,587.
You can still see the car here at Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item $42620712&categoryb27
I removed the door panels (very easy) today and confirmed that the necessary hardware was missing. I ordered the parts from Ford. I also reconnected the wires for the window buttons. Btw, I stumbled on to this helpful site last night that is going to make the job a lot easier. There's plenty of other useful information there for anyone who owns or is thinking of purchasing a late model, Ford cop car.
http://www.p71interceptor.com/reardoorrods /
Thank you all for your helpful input.
James