Police interceptor?

Page 1 of 2
Hello all:
I'm just curious- what is the engine being used in the Crown Vic cop cars these days? Is it a modified 4.6 (in which case, what did they do
to it where can you buy those parts) or is it still a version of the 351 with a carb on it? I assume it's a 4.6, but if it is, it can't be any of the standard versions in Vic and Marquis, and it's certainly not the Marauder version, so what is it?
Chris '97 Maquis '82 Mark VI '89 E250
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:15:29 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Chris Nagorka) wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's basically the same 4.6 in any regular CV. The main difference is they use a dual exhaust system and a modified computer that ups the idle speed about 100 rpm. Between the higher idle speed and the 200 amp alternator it will put out over 100 amps at idle. If there is any other difference Ford doesn't mention it at their police vehicle website. -- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789
it is a 4.6,the same thing you get in any other crown vic or grand marquis.the only difference is dual exhaust for 15 more hp. the marauder uses the mustang dual overhead cam supercharged 4.6
The Marauder engine is not supercharged. It is DOHC and is rated at 302 hp (versus 239 for the SOHC with dual exhausts as used in the PI). I think the Maurader engine is the same basic engine as used in the Mustang Mach 1 (not the supercharged Cobra engine).
Ed
Falcoon wrote:

The Marauder has the 3V heads, it is not supercharged, only the Cobra has the blower.
mike hunt
Falcoon wrote:

says...

intake and airbox than the cobra. The engine is aluminum (cobra is not) It is NOT supercharged from the factory.
Gourm
--
"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien

-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-
I know, I meant to type 4V. The 2003/4 Cobra is indeed blown, at 390 HP. The 2005 Mustang has a SOC 300 HP THREE valve aluminum 4.6L V8. The standard engine in the 2005 Mustang is a new SOC 210 HP 4.1L V6
mike hunt
Gourm Hardee wrote:

says...

engines..
Gourm
Gourm Hardee, Huntsville, Al Please reply to gourmAThardees.org
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:24:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

The Marauder has the 4 valve DOHC heads (see http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/vehicles/marauder/ ). And the Lightening has a supercharged 5.4L engine (as will the new Ford GT, 5.4L DOHC Supercharged and intercooled).
the manual that came with the police pursuit car, state the features that police unit has that the standard crown vic does not.
it states that the driveshaft is aluminum alloy for faster spool up.
this may hold some water for the very high speed concern and vibration because there is a lot less weight rotating.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
i'll chime in on this one. here are the facts. i own 5 mustang GT's one with nitrous, 2 town cars with the tow package and just picked up a police pursuit crown vic. even though the spec sheet says that they have a speed cutoff at 130mph, i was told that this unit would bury the speedometer of 140 mph and was good for 170mph. i didn't say anything to the person that told me that, but highly question what they said to myself. it was a western united states police pursuit. i do not drive the high end speed, but i like the torque these cars deliver.
i also own a car lot for 10 years and have drive some pretty fast cars of various makes, so when i picked up this police pursuit, i was curious what the hub-bub was all about. i took it on a 1000 mile trip. it got 23 mpg at 80 mph and used no fluids. i pulled out from a rest area and was doing about 35 mph. it had a semi pass me doing at least 75 and realized that i better get my speed up or get ran over, so i did punch it that time. at the time i punched it, our bumpers were even, but as the car gained speed, i never fell back to the back wheels of the tractor rig when the car matched his speed and pulled away from him.
got vehicle home, i have a two block hill i use as a guide line for performance. like i said, i did not use speed because if it can perform going up the hill, then it will definitely perform on the straight away. here's the results of my test. i was doing approximately 15 mph, when i floored it. it rapidly accelerated through first gear and caught second. but here's the difference. it is a 4000 lb body - like the towncar with a 4.6 when it caught second gear, it turned the car sideways with the 16" tires spinning and it was on dry payment. no loose dirt on roadway, oil spots, etc.
so, from my test to myself, i would have to say that the police pursuit performs as good as the some of my mustang GT's enough so that i think i'm going to stock a couple on the lot. you can have the performance, but the insurance will be cheaper.
also, in 1999 and up, the crown vic came with 3.55 gears, which gives them even better torque. the one i picked up was a 98 with 3.27's.
hope this information helps.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
Vehicles that come from the manufacture with 'Z' rated tires do not need a speed limiter. 'Z' radial tires have a top speed of rating of 240 MPH. The Interceptor has 'Z' rated tires as standard equipment. The 2004 Mustang GT and the Interceptor will both top out at around 145 MPH.
mike hunt
c palmer wrote:

says...

(including PI's) Grand Marquis, Marauder, and Town Cars all suffer from driveshaft wobble. This is because of the long length of the shaft. The only exception is the '99 and 2000 police Interceptors which use a Metal Matrix Composite shaft. Extended speeds above 120 will tear the back end out of the transmission with the stock steel and aluminum shafts. As a result, Ford has put a limiter on 2001 cars and up at 127mph, even on the PI and the Mararuder with 3.55 gears. 3.27 gears will give a few more mph before the wobble, 3.73, 4.10 and 4.30 gears get progressively worse. A new shaft and chip will fix the problem pretty easily, although not cheaply.
--
"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien

-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-
You certainly are entitled to your opinion but I can tell you our fleet service business we 'get ready,' deliver and service Interceptors for the Pennsylvania State police, and those of five other eastern states. I personally have driven 2003/4 Interceptors on Pocono Raceway at speeds up to 140 MPH, they do not have a speed limiter, nor did I ever experience any shaft anomalies..
mike hunt
Gourm Hardee wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:22:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

I'm not saying you are wrong but the Michigan state police do extensive tests on PI packages and their most recent tests on a 2004 CV show a top speed with the 3.27 axle of 128 mph and 118 mph with the 3.55 rear gears. Since they do instrumented tests I would tend to accept their results over other less well documented results. -- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789
"Gourm Hardee" <gourmAThardeesDOTorg> wrote in message

So if all this long driveshaft wobble malarkey is true, how do you explain FoMoCo & Lincoln not have a problem like that with just as long and longer shafts in all of the 60 & 70 long large high-powered cars?
says...

351CJ quipped: So if all this long driveshaft wobble malarkey is true, how do you explain FoMoCo & Lincoln not have a problem like that with just as long and longer shafts in all of the 60 & 70 long large high-powered cars?
First of all, let me say, I understand why people get frustrated and give up on using the different newsgroups. I posted the above information based my 26 years of working with a company that has been building high performance (Ford for the most part) automobiles since the mid-60's. I don't appreciate calling my post, "Malarkey". If you don't agree with what I have said, that's fine, but you defined your knowledge of the matter with your remark.
Critical Speed driveshaft flex has always been a problem with high speed rear wheel drive cars. And now, we are no longer using the C6 performance transmissions with extended tailshafts, or shaft carriers of the 60's and 70's. Modern transmissions are lighter, shorter and much less forgiving of vibrations created by ALL shafts. Here is a link that has a brief article on the MMC driveshaft that I mentioned.
http://www.shizzot.com/shaft.htm
There are several aftermarket companies that make a living manufacturing driveshafts for what you call wobble malarkey. Most serious Marauder owners and several police agencies have gone to this shaft to prevent transmission damage.
There is quite a bit of information posted throughout the internet concerning the problem, if you take the time to search for it. There are several excellent threads on the Marauder forum:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net /
as well as the Crown Vic forum and the Mustang forum.
I am sorry I brought the matter up..
Gourm
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:03:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

A Z rating implies a maximum speed rating in excess of 240 kph, 149 mph, not 240 mph.
According to the 2004 Michigan Police Vehicle Evaluation, Ford PIs come with V rated tires (good for 150 mph). This is confirmed on the Ford web site. The tires are P225/60VRx16 All-Season BSW.
Also according to the Michigan Police Vehicle Evaluation, the top speed of the 2004 PI was 129 mph with the 3:27 rear end gears. With the 3:55 rear end gears, the top speed was only 118 mph. Both the Impala (123) and Intrepid (135 mph) had higher top speeds than the 3.55 PI. The Intrepid was faster than either PI. However, in the road course testing the PI and Intrepid were tied, and the Impala was slightly slower.
In past years, believe the PI had higher top speeds, but I have never seen a test showing them coming any where close to 145 mph. I also believe the Mustang GT is only able to approach 140 mph. I never got mine that fast, but it is the highest speed I have seen in a test for any Mustang GT. The Corbra isn't limited and I think can do over 150 mph - but I don't actually know.