Police interceptor?

Page 2 of 2

Chris,
The saddest thing about your horsepower compairissons is tha Ford was making a true 220 Horsepower with the 3.0 liter V-6 SHO engine in the late 80's...
Ever hear of torque? Torque, developed at low RPM is were it's at for performance. There a lot of Jap cars that have good looking HP numbers but when it comes to getting out of their own way on a mountain, they stink. They develop their HP and torque at high RPM's, not too bad if one has a manual tranny and knows how to use it, but with the automatic that most cars come with standard, they suck big time. Next time you pass a Civic or a Corolla on a mountain, listen to the engine screaming, just to hold 60 MPH. ;)
mike hunt
351CJ wrote:

Ever drive a 3 liter 5-speed manual transmission SHO?
Didn't think so. I haven't found a mountain pass out here in the west that I don't have to back off the throttle cause my speed is exceeding what the curves and corners can be negotiated at.
My daily driver is a 460 and I own and drive 3 big block Fords, a 351CJ and a puny EFI 302, I Certainly KNOW WTF Torque is, do you?

the
need
I've
making
80's...
correction. ford was not making 220hp with the V6 sho in the 80's. the sho had a japanese motor . it was made by either kawasaki or yamaha i don't remember who ,but it was one of them
Correction! It was a Ford Engine with heads designed by Yamaha... Ford had at least enough sense to realize that Yamaha had them beat hands down when it comes to power per cubic inch in the head design business. BTW: the 3 liter Yamaha designed Ford SHO head flows more volume per cylinder than a 351 (5.8 liter) 2 barrel Cleveland head. It would behoove you to get your facts straight before you go around on the world wide web making such a fool of yourself incorrectly correcting people!

had
remember
Unless of course one orders the optional 17" wheels with P245/45VRx17 tires or the 18" wheels. Both the Interceptor and the GT will do 140, but you are free to believe what you wish.
Who, of sound mind, would drive a FWD car at speeds over 100 MPH. The Pa State Police stopped using FWD patrol cars many years ago, after several Troopers were killed driving them at high speed.. The few FWD cars they have are only used as unmarked cars for non patrol work.
SPEED RATING (1/2 hour, Sustained)
SYMBOL km/h mph P    15 93 Q    160    99 R    170    106 S    180    112 T    190    118 U    200    124 H    210    130 V    240    150 W    270    169 ZR over 240    over 150
Vehicle speed is limit by an onboard limiter
mike hunt
Gourm Hardee wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:05:42 GMT, C. E. White

My 99 GT with automatic was pretty much maxed out at around 134 mph and it took a while to get that last few mph out of it. My 1969 Firebird 400 (with much lower ratio rear, something like 2.80) got to 137 mph and did it quicker. I would be extremely surprised if the new CVs could do any better then my GT since they are heavier and have a slightly less powerful engine so the Michigan tests showing 128 seem right on the mark to me. Especially when you see that with the 3.55 rear ratio they topped out at a lower speed. And that 3.55 barely made any difference at all in acceleration times. -- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:43:11 -0600 (CST), PALMER snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (c palmer) wrote:

They'll top out just over 140 at redline without the limiter.

In addition to things other people mentioned, I think they have a different final drive.