Police interceptor?

Unless of course one orders the optional 17" wheels with P245/45VRx17 tires or the 18" wheels. Both the Interceptor and the GT will do 140, but you are free to believe what you wish.

Who, of sound mind, would drive a FWD car at speeds over 100 MPH. The Pa State Police stopped using FWD patrol cars many years ago, after several Troopers were killed driving them at high speed.. The few FWD cars they have are only used as unmarked cars for non patrol work.

SPEED RATING (1/2 hour, Sustained)

SYMBOL km/h mph P 15 93 Q 160 99 R 170 106 S 180 112 T 190 118 U 200 124 H 210 130 V 240 150 W 270 169 ZR over 240 over 150

Vehicle speed is limit by an onboard limiter

mike hunt

Gourm Hardee wrote:

MikeHunt

Ever hear of torque? Torque, developed at low RPM is were it's at for performance. There a lot of Jap cars that have good looking HP numbers but when it comes to getting out of their own way on a mountain, they stink. They develop their HP and torque at high RPM's, not too bad if one has a manual tranny and knows how to use it, but with the automatic that most cars come with standard, they suck big time. Next time you pass a Civic or a Corolla on a mountain, listen to the engine screaming, just to hold 60 MPH. ;)

mike hunt

351CJ wrote:
Reply to
MikeHunt

351CJ quipped: So if all this long driveshaft wobble malarkey is true, how do you explain FoMoCo & Lincoln not have a problem like that with just as long and longer shafts in all of the 60 & 70 long large high-powered cars?

First of all, let me say, I understand why people get frustrated and give up on using the different newsgroups. I posted the above information based my 26 years of working with a company that has been building high performance (Ford for the most part) automobiles since the mid-60's. I don't appreciate calling my post, "Malarkey". If you don't agree with what I have said, that's fine, but you defined your knowledge of the matter with your remark.

Critical Speed driveshaft flex has always been a problem with high speed rear wheel drive cars. And now, we are no longer using the C6 performance transmissions with extended tailshafts, or shaft carriers of the 60's and 70's. Modern transmissions are lighter, shorter and much less forgiving of vibrations created by ALL shafts. Here is a link that has a brief article on the MMC driveshaft that I mentioned.

There are several aftermarket companies that make a living manufacturing driveshafts for what you call wobble malarkey. Most serious Marauder owners and several police agencies have gone to this shaft to prevent transmission damage.

There is quite a bit of information posted throughout the internet concerning the problem, if you take the time to search for it. There are several excellent threads on the Marauder forum:

as well as the Crown Vic forum and the Mustang forum.

I am sorry I brought the matter up..

Gourm

Reply to
Gourm Hardee

Ever drive a 3 liter 5-speed manual transmission SHO?

Didn't think so. I haven't found a mountain pass out here in the west that I don't have to back off the throttle cause my speed is exceeding what the curves and corners can be negotiated at.

My daily driver is a 460 and I own and drive 3 big block Fords, a 351CJ and a puny EFI 302, I Certainly KNOW WTF Torque is, do you?

Reply to
351CJ

correction. ford was not making 220hp with the V6 sho in the 80's. the sho had a japanese motor . it was made by either kawasaki or yamaha i don't remember who ,but it was one of them

Reply to
Falcoon

Correction! It was a Ford Engine with heads designed by Yamaha... Ford had at least enough sense to realize that Yamaha had them beat hands down when it comes to power per cubic inch in the head design business. BTW: the 3 liter Yamaha designed Ford SHO head flows more volume per cylinder than a

351 (5.8 liter) 2 barrel Cleveland head. It would behoove you to get your facts straight before you go around on the world wide web making such a fool of yourself incorrectly correcting people!

Reply to
351CJ

the manual that came with the police pursuit car, state the features that police unit has that the standard crown vic does not.

it states that the driveshaft is aluminum alloy for faster spool up.

this may hold some water for the very high speed concern and vibration because there is a lot less weight rotating.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional

Reply to
c palmer

I'm not saying you are wrong but the Michigan state police do extensive tests on PI packages and their most recent tests on a 2004 CV show a top speed with the 3.27 axle of 128 mph and 118 mph with the

3.55 rear gears. Since they do instrumented tests I would tend to accept their results over other less well documented results.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

My 99 GT with automatic was pretty much maxed out at around 134 mph and it took a while to get that last few mph out of it. My 1969 Firebird 400 (with much lower ratio rear, something like 2.80) got to

137 mph and did it quicker. I would be extremely surprised if the new CVs could do any better then my GT since they are heavier and have a slightly less powerful engine so the Michigan tests showing 128 seem right on the mark to me. Especially when you see that with the 3.55 rear ratio they topped out at a lower speed. And that 3.55 barely made any difference at all in acceleration times.