POLL: Fix it or Nix it

I have a 94 Taurus with 120k miles. Last year I had a valve job/heads redone, new motor mounts and new lines/evaporator on the A/C. Paid somewhere
in the neighborhood of $2200 for the car 2 years ago. Now, the transmission is going bad. Won't always shift into 1st and stutters a little when driving. Mechanic says AXOD needs to be rebuild. Cost anywhere from $1600 to $2200 depending on who I go to. I can't do any of it myself, except the payment part, unfortunately. I drive about 35 miles/day going to work and taking my kids to daycare. Otherwise, take the wife's new minivan on long trips and family outings.
Should I fix the car since not too much more major can break on it, or cut my losses and get a different 2000-3000 dollar car?
Thanks for your input

Well, if you hadn't already put 2.2k in it, I'd say scrap it. However, it seems that fixing the trans will pretty much make your 94 Taurus a new car. If the body's in excellent physical condition, I think I'd fix the tranny. Otherwise, you're throwing away the money you already put in it.
CJB

But is he throwing good money after bad?
Overall, though, I agree with you. Get it fixed. The only thing major left to go on the car is lower end of the engine (crankshaft, pistons, etc.). Once he gets the transmission rebuilt, he should be good to go for a while.
But, I would look out there and see what is available for $2000-3000.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

I think it's good money after bad. However, I would suggest having the rear seal changed on the engine when the trans is out because when they go it's a killer.

check local yards for a low mileage used unit.. I did on my 97 XR7 even had it installed for less than then $600.00 its still used but on 190,000 mile car it beats the heck out of $1500-$2000 for rebuilding the in car unit
I say fix it - you know this car. How much car will you get for another $3000?

Thanks to everyone for there feedback. Pretty much all of you had the same conundrum I did, already spent a bunch, but this is probably the last thing to go, so probably do it, but maybe not, etc.
I have decided to bail on the car. My trust in the mid 90's Taurus is gone. I see several other Tauruses for sale that have similar issues and I don't want to belong to that club any more. I found a '91 Bonneville with 70k on it, that looks and drives like new (relatively speaking). It has had good care, all service records and my research tells me it has a better track record than the Taurus. I'm going to try to sell it for around $900 to someone that wants a project or parts car. Lord knows there are plenty of broken down Tauruses out there that need repaired.
Thanks again for helping me out.