poor gas mileage 94 taurus

Page 2 of 2
Your getting about 14 to 15 mpg in the city. I think it is totally normal. I get exactly the same and I have changed everything. There is nothing wrong with your car.

Fuel gauges are horribly inaccurate. Fill up your tank and write down your mileage, then drive until it gets to 1/4 or so, then fill it up and calculate the gas mileage based on what the pump says you used. I can fill my tank and drive 100 miles before the needle comes off of F then about another 150 and its on E, then about another 50 before I need to stop.
--
Ignorance is the curse of God, Knowledge the wing wherewith we fly to
heaven. --Shak

Fuel gauges are a little inaccurate. I always drive my car to a gas station, record the milage in a log book. Refuel my car then calculate the average MPG on your vehicle. Once you calculate the MPG doing it that way, the MPG would turn out to be normal.

I have a 94 ford Taurus 3.8 and I find a similar thing. You don't get very good gas mileage. The one thing to keep in mind if you don't already know. When you put the window defroster on it uses more gas, particularly in city driving. This is because of Fords brilliant Idea to connect the defroster to the air conditioner. While I know that this is in part to run the A/C in the off seasons so that it gets lubricated and does not leak Refrigerant. It consumes lots of gas in stop and go traffic. I purposely run it once a week for about 5 minutes which is all you need if I have not run A/C that week. But if you leave it on it will chew up gas.
Did anybody say the oil industry and car manufactures are in bed together ??

The a/c coming on in defrost has a purpose. It dehumidifies the interior to help keep side windows clear. If it's cold enough the compressor will not come on, like below 20 F . The real brilliant idea is the outside/recirc. air control in common in a lot of cars. Most people ride around with it in recirc. so no fresh air enters the cabin. How many frozen / fogged up side windows do you see in cars with this feature? I see a lot in the northeast blowing down the interstate at 70 with the side windows completely fogged / iced up in the winter. The average driver has no clue and is a menace riding around with the side windows fogged up all winter. The a/c on in defrost is idiot proofing plain & simple.
--
John
"Anything you say can & will be misquoted & used against you"