poor kid doing car work?

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

No, it won't. When you apply that much leverage, the lug nuts should break off. He's gonna have to replace the studs either way.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Sorry to be unclear. If a nut was cross threaded, the stud will have to be replaced. It really doesn't matter if you can get it to brake loose or if you must brake it off. For the sake of our friend, let me say that it's easy and inexpensive to replace the studs, so this is a minor complication.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

With those lug nuts it is impossible to develop enough torque to snap or strip the studs. They just go round on you.By the time the chrome caps come off it is too late. The SIMPLEST and FASTEST way is to get a good cobalt drill bit and drill the stud out of the nut. Do this BEFORE you get tempted to heat them up with the torch and they will drill a whole lot easier. I've done it may ways in 38 years - and I've drilled 'em before cobalts were available. Cobalts are definitely the cat's meow for this app.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I've never had a problem with or without the chrome caps. To each his own.

CJB

Reply to
CJB