poor kid doing car work?

Page 2 of 2
No, it won't. When you apply that much leverage, the lug nuts should break off. He's gonna have to replace the studs either way.
CJB

Sorry... I thought you were speaking of breaking the "loose" with the added leverage, not "off".
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:51:50 GMT, "CJB"

Hey! Spikey Likes IT! 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Sorry to be unclear. If a nut was cross threaded, the stud will have to be replaced. It really doesn't matter if you can get it to brake loose or if you must brake it off. For the sake of our friend, let me say that it's easy and inexpensive to replace the studs, so this is a minor complication.
CJB

Once I realized what you were meaning, it made sense. Guess I have been lucky never to have had a reason to learn this the hard way. But, it's filed away now.
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:12:58 GMT, "CJB"

Hey! Spikey Likes IT! 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:51:50 GMT, "CJB"

With those lug nuts it is impossible to develop enough torque to snap or strip the studs. They just go round on you.By the time the chrome caps come off it is too late. The SIMPLEST and FASTEST way is to get a good cobalt drill bit and drill the stud out of the nut. Do this BEFORE you get tempted to heat them up with the torch and they will drill a whole lot easier. I've done it may ways in 38 years - and I've drilled 'em before cobalts were available. Cobalts are definitely the cat's meow for this app.

I've never had a problem with or without the chrome caps. To each his own.
CJB

How many miles does the car have? If you live out in the middle of nowhere, does that mean rural "farming" community? Most of the farm kids grew up in the machine shed working on stuff, have an abundance of tools & equipment and are mechanically inclined. Not an automatic thing of course, but it seems like if you live in an area like that (as I do--Iowa) you might be able to ask some friends like that. Of course, you'd have to use caution (ask around) that you had someone who KNEW what they're doing, which shouldn't be that much of a longshot since brakes aren't that complicated and most people who've ever held a wrench have done it a number of times. And I find it unlikely that it needs ALL new calipers, et.al.