Positive Battery Post Corrodes

Help... Every couple of weeks I have to clean the positive battery post.

The negitive one is ok. This started about

3 months ago.

Any ideas ?

superjim at swbell dot net

Later....Jim from Texas

Reply to
jsellers

Jim,

If the battery case itself is dirty, leakage current can cause corrosion. I use those silly little felt things you can buy for a buck. You need to clean both posts and cable ends very well and be sure to brighten the contact surface of each before reassembling. If it is an aftermarket or replacement clamp, think about replacing the whole lead.

I used to do a good cleanup, then smother the battery post and clamp in Vaseline after it was reassembled. It worked very well, especially after everything warmed up and the Vaseline ran down in the gaps. Kinda messy, tho.

Sometimes corroding clamps can be a sign of other problems. If the battery is old and failing, it may be gassing too much and leaving stuff on top. A goofy charging circuit can cause this, too. In really bas cases the battery actually boils over... very messy and dangerous.

What car do you have and how old is the battery, maybe someone here can be more helpful with the specifics.

Hope this helps! PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Another problem is the case cracks at the post allowing fumes from the cell to come up around the base of the post. Happens when you try to tighten the clamp without holding it. You can remove the cable and seal it with the stuff they sell to repair cracks in the case.

Al

Reply to
Big Al