possible starter problem??? Please help

I need a little help. I have a 1989 Ford Mustang LX with a 2.3 liter engine. I had to change the torque converter and after I finished, it started fined
but then cut off and will not restart. I was told that transmission fluid (it was everywhere) could have gotten into the starter causing a short, thus causing low voltage throughout the circuit. When I turn the key sometimes the lights on the dash (oil, check engine, etc.) come on bright, but when I try to start the engine they go dim or out completely. Sometimes when I turn the key on the lights are out but come on after a few seconds. I had the starter checked at the auto parts store and they said it seemed fine but it does nothing in the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Mike

It's not your starter.. it's the wiring between your battery and the distribution terminals at the starter relay...And/or your ground cable from the negative batt post.
Make sure the batt cable and terminals are clean and tight... look for insulation swelling and corrosion where the cable goes into the battery terminal.. bet that is it, it's of that age.
Periodically check ALL the wiring on a car that age.
you pay..DEAL with it!