Power Steering Fluid

In a nutshell, why is it that some Power Steering fluid is clear yet others are Red? Red PS fluid has been around longer it seems. What is the reason behind this?

East-
| In a nutshell, why is it that some Power Steering fluid is clear yet | others are Red? Red PS fluid has been around longer it seems. What is | the reason behind this? | | | East- |
Different Specifications for different types of Pumps cause for different types of fluids.
Tramnsmission fluid is not the same as engine oil or brake fluid, but in a pinch, can be used as hydraulic fluid for heavy equipment. As is with Alcohol, the rubbing kind, can be substituted for brake fluid in a pinch to get you where you can get more brake fluid. Marvel Mystery fluid, can be used for almost anything. Read the labels and specifications for your vehicle.
Dave
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:53:29 GMT, "Dave"

What do you use when you run out of beer?
alkeee@_______.com wrote:

rubbing alcohol is good for that too. (or Nyquil)
ShoeSalesman wrote:

Naah, how about lacquer thinner, with a Drano chaser? Rubbing alcohol and Nyquil are for wimps. When I run out of beer, I sub in Absolut, which HAS to be a derivative of Toluene judging by the taste. I call it "Toluene with a Tax stamp" :)
Back to the OT, ATF such as Mercon should do nicely. PS fluid, as such, is nearly clear, the red stuff is ATF. For power steering ATF is almost always acceptable, especially in an unknown application like this. It just contains additives and detergents that aren't really necessary in Power Steering fluid. The hydraulic properties are very close. For a known application, always check the manual.