Power window failure in 1997 Taurus

The front driver's side power window stopped working on our 1997 Taurus, and in the down position. All other windows still work, as well as all other
electrical things as far as I can tell. I've checked fuses and the relay that is supposed to be associated with that window, although I don't know what a bad relay is supposed to look like. Any guess on the most likely culprit?

notoriously weak motors in those, all the way back to 80's.
1. if you can grasp the window at all, try to see if you can assist the motor in bringing it up.
2. give the door a couple good slams, trying again after each. may jar the motor just enough.
it will need to be replaced.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

If you can HEAR the motor, but nothing happens with the glass, just replace the the 3 nylon rollers in the gear motor head. If you don't hear the motor at all, try applying 12V directly to the motor leads at the motor. If the motor turns then, it's the switch; if no movement, the motor's fried and requires replacement for about $60.

I've tried the first suggestion--grasping the window and trying to pull it up, and slamming the door. No luck.
No, I cannot hear the motor, just a clicking of the relay box underneath the dashboard when I press the window up/down button. I'll try applying 12V directly to the motor tomorrow morning, when I can see well enough to remove the door paneling.
Ethan wrote:

Have the door open while trying to operate the window upward. Watch the dome light closely while you press the window switch. If it dims slightly, the motor is "stuck". If the light dims, rap the door hard with the side of your fist 3.or 4 times while holding the switch in the "UP" position.. (Inside, about 6" above the bottom edge, in the middle. Hit it like you are mad at it, really hard.. The window will probably go up and then work normally.(You can also use a rubber mallet). Replace the window motor. It will likely fail down again at a very inopportune moment. If you need to save up dollars or time before replacemant, don't put the window all the way down, leave it up 1/2" or so. The commutator inside the motor burns in one spot in the full down position causing this problem.

Hey, great advice. It worked. Thanks.
Ethan wrote:

Great. Just don't forget to replace the motor. Murphys law says it will fail again during the next torrential downpour or snowstorm, five minutes after the parts store closes on a long holiday weekend.

LOL