ppplease

Page 1 of 2
I just bought a 1993 ford tarus 4 cylinder. great shape . passed emissions and saftey checks.Waht are the more basic problems i may incounter . ANyone
could answer this please do so...
I have never heard of the Taurus with a 4 banger in it. I have only heard of it having a V8 (SHO) and a selection of different V6s (Vulcan) and the 24 valve Duratec V6, both 3 liters.
Is this guy for real or what?
The original Taurus had a 2.5L version of the 2.3L available in one specific model, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
mike hunt

mike, would that be the shitbox model??

Actually it ran pretty well but it didn't sell well and was dropped after the first year. The idea was to appeal to import intenders, who will settle for 4cy in larger cars. Don't forget the Camry and Accord of those days were still compact cars, not midsize like the Taurus. Even today, look at the Camry now that it is a midsize car, eight our ten sold have only a 4cy engines Domestic intenders generally want at least a V6 in midsize car.
mike hunt

It was the Taurus L. It came with a 5 speed too, at least some of them did.
CJB

That my be as well, but I was referring to a sporty model 'M5' or something like that. It had bucket seats with a counsel council shifter, ala the SO. There was no 4cy in '93 however
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

It was the Taurus MT-5, available in 86 and 87. 2.5L and 5 speed, you might call it a baby SHO. There was also the Taurus L that had an available 2,5L with an Auto trans.

I might be mistaking, but weren't the SHOs fitted with Super High Output V6 engines?
--

(\_ _/)

Yes, a 220 horsepower "Super-High Output" It was an iron block, aluminum head 24-valve 3.0 L DOHC V6 engine From 1989-1994
With mid-6-second 0-to-60 mph (100 km/h) times, and a top speed around 145 mph (233 km/h), it could keep up with such performance cars as Ford's own Mustang GT, Camaro Z28s, and Eagle Talon in turbocharged form. It was said to be the most powerful and quickest front wheel drive car ever made when it was introduced.
In 1996, Ford replaced this engine with a 3.4L V8 and automatic transmission.
the sho v6 was also made by kawasaki

I could be mistaken but I do believe the engine was a 4 valve per cylinder assembled by Yamaha (yes the same company that makes Piano's) http://www.v6sho.com/sho/reviews.asp
yup, you are rite, i was wrong . not kasawacki, but yamahopper. but it was made by the motersycle yamahopper fellers, not the piani ones.

(Vulcan)
Try Yamaha.

yup, realized the mistake about 1 hour after i posted.

(Vulcan)
cool

Where you live might have some bearing. If you're in Quebec I'd say rust (bondo) might be an issue, .If you are in Ontario or Mexico I'd say that fuel system issues should be monitored.
If you're in Camden NJ I'd say you might want to check the VIN, etc, etc, etc.
What's the mileage?
what has been done (repairs maintenance etc.
How are you going to be driving it? City, Highway, church & back?
If it's a pensioners "all original" low low mileage vehicle you'll want to change the tires regardless of how they look. The rubber hardens and loses it's adhesion as it ages.
If you are sure it is a 4 cyl, check the production date on the door jamb sticker, as the 4 cyl Taurus was only produced from 1986 to about 1989 or so. What you might have is a Tempo, not a Taurus. At any rate, just keep up on routine maintainance, and catch oil leaks or other fluid loss early on, and you should get years of trouble free driving- good luck

It's not a 4 cylinder
Tell us what the tag under the hood says... or the engine code on the door jamb sticker.
Other than Transmission problems, which all of that year may be subject to; your window motors are going to fail. . actually they probably wouldnt fail if you were really handy and pulled them to re-lube.. but they are weak and will gum up and bind
Proof of the cause is that the back ones -least used- fail first.
you pay..DEAL with it!