Probe engine question

My grandson swapped a dirt bike for a '95 Ford Probe GT with the 2.5L engine. It ran OK for a week, parked it and now it won't start. A friend showed him timing marks and said it "skipped timing". I assume
at the least it needs a new timing belt.
From what I can find on the Gates web site, the Probe has an interference engine, while the Mazda 626 does not. Anyone know for sure? Is the engine trashed?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The engine is an interference engine.
My guess is that the engine was not damaged; it sound like the engine was shut down normally. I would really doubt that the engine was damaged by the starter turning the engine. So my best guess is that something else is wrong.
However, it's impossible to say from here.
Jeff
Then why "dr_jeff," are you offering any opinion, it's impossible to say from here?

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:40:13 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

Well he did tell me it is an interference engine, my main question. I thought you only annoyed the GM group. I'll have to kill file you here too.
How do you know he is correct? He annoys the folks in every NG where he cross posts. ;)

Thanks. He thinks the tensioner may be bad and the very cold weather by have kept it from turning freely causing the slip when he tried to start it. Good that it did not start, I guess.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Depends on which timing marks he's looking at. If he's using the painted marks (on some belts) used for initial installation, it could take 40 or 50 belt revolutions before they again match all the marks on the sprockets, so you can't go by that.
You can get a rough idea by putting the engine at TDC via the main pulley (if it even has ignition timing marks... it's been a year since I worked on that red one we had in the shop, and I can't remember), taking off the top timing cover, and checking the timing marks on the sprockets...
http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/26/10/c2/medium/0900c152802610c2.gif
Of course, the proper way is to take off all the covers and set TDC using the notch in the guide washer behind the crank sprocket. This requires supporting the engine and removing various components including the driver's side engine mount to get at the covers.
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 09:56:26 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Thanks. I was not there when he looked at the engine, but I was under the impression it was something either external or otherwise easily seen. It will be towed to a shop in the next few days though.
You first wise move, it appears.

Very common problem on the 6 cyl Mazdam MPV, if that helps.
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:22:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It was towed today so we may find out soon. He has to come up with some $$$ for it though.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For future reference, the last time I looked, the Gates site had a cross reference guide for selecting replacement timing belts and included whether the particular application was an interference engine i.e. look for collateral damage.

It is interference engine. He lucked out so far. The timing was reset and the engine is running. The belt and tensioner will be replaced soon, before the engine is trashed should it happen again. He needs $400 though.

"should it happen again"??
I would NOT recommend further running the motor.
If the vehicle is worth anything, I'd leave it at the garage until the belt etc can be properly replaced.
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 12:27:17 -0600, Puddin' Man

And DO replace the tensioner. DO NOT be tempted to "cheap out" or it WILL bite your butt
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 16:29:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The tensioner is the original cause of the problem.
As for driving it, I know, you know, but a 22 year old with his first car . . . . . well . . . . .

The basics of interference motors are really simple (if unadvisable by design): the pistons and valves -cannot- occupy the same space without likelihood of cracked pistons, bent valves, etc. Repair costs are likely prohibitive.
Choose from the following:
1.) He simply doesn't comprehend motors (hence "automobiles"), and is not responsible.
2.) He figgers you'll buy him another cah-cah, and he wants to "get on with it".
3.) Both 1.) and 2.).