probe timing?

i recently changed the timing belt on my 95 ford probe and noticed that now when i give it gas and let off the rpm's stay where it was for a couple seconds and then drop back off. is this normal after changing a timing belt? it's a DOHC motor with 120K and i don't think the belt was ever changed prior to my changing it. any help would be appreciated,

thanks

charles

Reply to
chuck d

------------------ you mean 2 seconds? like, 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi? At any RPM? Even going down the road? That doesnt sound good.

Reply to
Scott M

yeah about like that. haven't driven it down the road yet. i was just trying it with the motor idling. what could that mean? it idles at around 900 or so, i gassed it up to about 2 and a half and took my foot off, it stayed there for a second or two and then dropped back down to 900.

Reply to
chuck d

first make sure it isnt just the throttle cable or pedal sticking. Since you just did the timing belt, check the timing and check for anything still disconnected, vacuum hoses, electrical plugs ect. It would be normal for the computer to slow the return to idle down a bit but yours sounds like something isnt quite right. Maybe its just the idle control that is sticking a little. If it is like the bigger fords (an air valve) it is common for those to stick and need to be cleaned or replaced.

Reply to
Scott M