Problem found - Was: Can't diagnose problem for sure

(ref: 04 Lincoln Town Car Signature bought used in Feb 07 w/36.5K miles, now 44K miles)
For the most part it turns out that the rear suspension was too high
(I always wondered why it seemed a little jacked up in the rear and have seen other TC's look the same). Now the rear of the car looks lower and almost parallel with the ground. The front is at the same height. The advisor says when they forget to turn off the air suspension before raising the lift and the wheels drop all the way down, the system looses calibration.
On the invoice: "Road tested vehicle with customer and verified concern. Tech road tested and confirmed vehicle unstable. Inspected F & R suspension, check VAPS at rack and pinion. Checked OASIS - No known concerns. Torqued all suspension bolts and performed air ride suspension self test - pass. Performed air ride calibration - calibration normal. Set all tire pressures to specs, performed alignment with 4 wheel runouts and road tested vehicle with advisor. Vehicle handling normal. Note vehicle has aftermarket shocks (4 KYB shocks)."
This took care of about 80% of my complaint but I would say the other 20% of what's left is me focusing on what is probably typical handling for this car. Perhaps the sidewalls may have softened a little but the tires seem OK except for the one that leaks slowly only during driving. It's now considerably more stable and easy driving on the highway.
Ben
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Glad to hear you found a shop that knew what to do. I usually use dealers for things I can't do myself but not every dealer is willing to go the extra mile. I be using that Ford dealer for all my routine stuff like oil changes and stuff. They are worth building a relationship with.
The Town Car is calibrated for ride first and foremost - but they handle quite well when you consider that.
Thanks for the update!
PoD

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Good - Now write down the full procedure to reset the rear ride height, and file it at home and put a copy in the glove box. The next time it gets squirrely on you the answer is right at your finger tips.
As to the rest, what do you want from an old school Land Yacht that was "built for comfort, not for speed"? ;-0 The wallow was built in at the factory, you have to exorcise it.
The KYB's will stiffen it up some. Now you need more aggressive tires, and bigger sway-bars, and hard urethane suspension bushings, and you can stiffen it right up. Go all the way and it's gonna be a kidney pounder on a bad road, but tighten up the suspension and at least you can make it stick to the curves in said bad road...
--<< Bruce >>--
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:57:18 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman

And, PLEASE post it here! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography
Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

it's in Newsgroups: alt.binaries.automobile.pictures Subject: Air suspension calibration 04 town car - 5 attachments
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I have alldatadiy and it's not a diy for me living in an apartment and can't do work in the garage. Would need a scan tool, a "special tool" (some ruler stuck in a base with a thumb screw), and ramps to elevate the car.

Perhaps you already know; 03 and up were improved handling with R&P steering and a rear sway bar; small diameter but not too intrusive, and other changes. Still old school but improved. Some article says Ford tried to lower the median age for the TC but apparently it didn't work. They don't advertise so nothing's goin' to work. I think it's become like a checker marathon; just a utility vehicle for taxi/livery service with a few of the public buying them habitually.

Yeah, you could turn it into a VCPI but it lugs around all that extra insulation. Don't want to make the TC too harsh. Maybe try H rated tires.
Had an 06 G35 sedan. Like on rails. A mistake. It had the power seat controls on the right bolster. After a while it produced too much pressure into the side of my thigh causing pain. It was gone after 2K miles. For 07 they moved it to a more orthodox location.
Ben

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.