Problem starting Ford Escort GT 95

My car started to die first it was my rpm gage then my radio then my lights then my wipers when i shut it off it wouldn;t start again, so i replaced the alternator and new battery and it still wont start any ideas also i cant find where the starter is i cant see it

Reply to
AmandaG_44

First thing, check all the fuses and fusible links for continuity. Put the car battery on a battery charger overnight and see if the new battery was sold to you run down - if the new battery sat on the shelf for more than a month, it may have been low on charge when installed.

Then get a decent digital voltmeter and see what the battery voltage at the terminal posts is at rest (engine off, doors closed, no load), during cranking, and while running.

You should get 12.6 to 13 volts at rest, 12 to 12.5 with the ignition on but not starting yet, and it shouldn't drop much below 10 volts while cranking the engine over, at least for the first few seconds.

Once the engine starts the voltage at the battery should pop up to between 13 and 14 volts, and with the engine above 2000 RPM it should be between 13.5 and 15 volts depending on the outside temperature.

13.8 to 14.5 volts is the ideal for float charging a 12V lead-acid battery.

If you are outside the normal range on any of these voltage readings, tell us and we can narrow it down.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman