problem with 2000 crown victoria!

ok my engine does burn gas and I think its the piston rings but once in a while I hear this DING sound and a plume of smoke comes out of the tail pipe and the engine starts to have idling problems as if it wants to stall
and sometimes it does. and this has been happening more often lately, was wondering what could cause this? are the piston rings getting so bad that the oil is getting way upthere where the spark plugs are and shutting them off? or is the the knocking/pre ignition everybody talks about(scanned the computer no codes regarding pre ignition) now I know I have pretty bad catalytic converters (still passed smog 3months ago) and a bad evap system but I really dont think these problems could be the cause of this. and btw how hard is it exactly to change piston rings on these cars..is it possible to do this without taking the engine out of the car. any help appreciated. thanks
.talkaboutautos.com:

This is ridiculous
A couple more of these and I'm gonna open up a dialogue with whoever runs T. A. A.!!!
For the rest of you... if you want help, dont come in here with foregone conclusions. This guy is bogus and the reason I think that is that he throws in a lot of crap that has no relevence... or is flat wrong
List the codes if you have any to report; dont assume anything
Also a Google search reports he just signed up on the Royal Iranian Air Force site a month ago.. and that's it.
Oh, check the site... http://iiaf.net/home.html
doesnt the guy in the middle look like he could be Pahlevi's son?
Oh, come now, BYM... this guy has flat stated that he has no codes for engine ping (whatever those are)..... though he doesn't say if there were any pistong ring codes or full ashtray codes. Besides, everyone should know that any gynecologist worth his salt would be able to change the piston rings through the tailpipe before afternoon coffee break.
We now take you back to our regularly scheduled gong show 8^)
lol, talking about forgone conclusions and then you conclude I am bogus, like I have nothing better to do but to post fake car problems on automotive forums all day, sorry some people have better things to do lol. ok whatever, but here are the codes P0420B , P0430 , P1450B. like I said in the first post first two indicate bad cats second indicates bad Evap system. btw what does me signing up for the IIAF site prove and why you did a google search in the first place, you seriously need to get a life, as for anyone else reading this any help appreciated
10 bucks says if you replace the cats and fix the evap system your problems will go away and your gas mileage will increase

in
lol, talking about forgone conclusions and then you conclude I am bogus, like I have nothing better to do but to post fake car problems on automotive forums all day, sorry some people have better things to do lol. ok whatever, but here are the codes P0420B , P0430 , P1450B. like I said in the first post first two indicate bad cats second indicates bad Evap system. btw what does me signing up for the IIAF site prove and why you did a google search in the first place, you seriously need to get a life, as for anyone else reading this any help appreciated

in
Sorry, wrong attitude.......
Maybe you should try and fix that first before asking for help.
First, learn how to compose. Running everything together in one para is annoying and the sign of a newby.. only thing worse is all-caps
Second, dont be jumping to possible causes without evidence. You say you think it's rings but give no reason why. It's almost NEVER rings.
Third, read up some, especially on repair books.. and dont rely on what people tell you on the street or casually... they are most likely much dumber than we are and maybe less knowledgable than you are.
Fourth, supply EVERY bit of info you have, including codes themselves, not what YOU think they mean, NOT what the booklet says they mean.. THE CODES!... from the questions you ask, you arent knowledgable enough to know if any codes you got apply or not. - - - - - - - - - - All the below is similar to recent trend of postings, which is people asking questions.. usually from talkaboutautos ... with JUST enough credible content to make it possibly legit.
And THAT is why you got the response you did. If you're on the level, sorry.