problem with 99 Taurus

I started my 99 Taurus this morning and the engine was running well as usual. But the engine stopped unexpectedly when I changed from Park position to Reverse. I could easily start the car again at Park, but the engine stopped as soon as I changed it into Reverse for many times. Then I ran the engine at Park and waited until the temperature reached its normal value (~1/3 on the scale). Then the car seems to recover. However, I drived only a few miles on local road and found the temperature had rised up to 2/3 position (it never reached beyond 1/2, and normally at about 1/3). I then drived slowly back to home (although the temperature seemed to go back to

1/3). I checked and only found the coolant was boiling out through the cap on the reservoir. Could it be possible the coolant was iced and broke channel on the engine (the coolant is mostly water nad it was around 0 degree last night)? Welcome any suggestion ... Thank you very much!
Reply to
electron

if its that cold its possible that the temp. will never go to normal... unless you let it run all the time.... when you take the shifter out of park and put it in reverse or any gear the engine needs more power and it does not have it so the engine dies..... you might be low on coolant as it is boiling over and coming out of the overflow.... and if its just water then you will have it boiling over at 212 degrees and not at the 265 or more degrees with antifreeze in it.....

Reply to
jim