Problems with 91 Mercury Sable?

Hey guys i'm new here.

I just purchased a 1991 Mercury Sable with 27,000 Actual Miles. The car is in great shape except for a little surface rust around the wheel wells. (I live in Michigan) Anyhow I was just wondering what are some of the typical problems with these cars that I should watch out for? Is there any special maintnence other then the normal stuff I should keep up on? By the way the car has the 3.0L V-6.

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
Tom Snyder

Great car overall. Engine is top notch. However, the 1991 was by far the worst year for taurus transmissions. Be sure to keep up the regular maintenance.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Thanks man! I love how the car rides, it is actually pretty smooth. I don't really care much for the torque steer but late 80's early 90's front drivers aren't exactly as sophisticated as todays models. The transmission seems to be working fine for now although it isn't as solid feeling as my previous car. (97 bonneville) I plan on doing a basic tune up on it in the near future... plugs, wires, fuel filter, transmission flush and filter change. Mostly just cause the car sat for so long.

Anyone else have some insight they care to share?

ts

Reply to
Tom Snyder

I believe that us the year that the dist. gear went bad . secret recall??? the cam gear pretty much destroyed the dist. gear. correct if wrong please

Reply to
SPOLIK