Process for battery change in Sable

I recently read the manual for my 2000 Sable and found a multi step procedure that has to be followed after changing the battery. I've asked a few people and none of them have ever seen anything like this.
Have dealers/garages always followed this process or is this something new with Sables?

What is the process? Unfortunately, we don't have copies of the manual ourselves.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Yes, in general, it says:
Start the car and put in in drive and idle for one minute. Keeping the car in drive, run the AC for one minute.
And a few more I can't remember.
Then it says it takes about 10 miles of driving to get the entire system reset.
MP wrote:

WTH? I've changed batteries on both my 94 Taurus Wagon and my 2000 Taurus SE within the last six months and basically I just replaced the batteries, then reset my favorites into the radio. Both seem to be doing just fine.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

He's making it harder than it is. The reason for the proceedure as outlined in the shop manual is that any time you disconnect the battery you reset the computer and it has to relearn its idle. The proceedure helps the engine relearn idle fastest. When you're a dealer, you can't give the car back to the customer after a battery swap and then have them complain that the engine's not runnign right.
If you just swap the battery yourself, you can still just drive the car away. Eventually the car will relearn idle on its own. The proceedure in the shop manual will simply help the car to relearn the idle fastest.
CJB
CJB wrote:

Well, if the 'he' in the above message is Me, then I find it offensive that someone asking a question in this forum is mocked for asking the question. I appreciate the feedback and the explanation that the re-learn will be faster if done according to the manual but driving it will also do that.
Ignoring instructions in some things can lead to fouled up electronics. I'm cautious but not stupid.
MP
MP wrote:

You're also a little thin skinned to be playing with Usenet, if that's all it takes to offend you. You posted a question with a twist that startled me and so I questioned it. The fellow who replied to me did not mock you but he cleared up the mystery succinctly.
You shouldn't go near your car until you've taken a degree in automotive engineering, just to be safe. You're not qualified to perform ordinary maintenance. There, *I* mocked you, in case there's any doubt. You should hire someone to killfile me so I don't annoy you any more.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"MP" wrote:
.... I appreciate the feedback and the explanation. I find it offensive that someone asking a question is mocked for asking the question. _______________________________________________
The responses you got were written in a friendly manner, like acquaintances bantering about automotive subjects.
No mocking was intended, even though your original post invited it. An inquiry such as, "My manual has a multi-step procedure for a battery change. Is this something new?" is almost as obscure as, "My car made a funny noise and stopped. What is wrong?"
When you provided enough additional information for someone to offer help, your inquiry was answered.
Please continue to post on this newsgroup for friendly help with automotive problems. The knowledge available here is priceless.
Rodan.

I don't see that he is mocking you. All he said is that dealers may want to do it so that the car runs well from the time the costumer gets it. (Actually, they can just say that it will take a little for the computer to relearn everything, and the car might nor run as well until it does.)
I thought his answer was very kind.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

All the answers were very helpful! I agree that my original post was too vague.
The statement that was questionable was the one that said 'he's making this harder than it is'. If I were not confused, I would not have posted here.
I don't plan to do this repair myself. That's for people who know what they are doing. I like to understand what is done and why.
Thank you to all who attempted to help me.
MP

And I assume that applies to customers as well.
Richard