proximity alarm keeps going off without cause

Our 2006 Ford Escape proximity alarm (car horn) keeps going off without cause. What could be causing this? Do the remotes have batteries? Could a low battery be causing it? What about cold weather?

http://www.motorsforum.com/ford/proximity-alarm-keeps-going-off-without-cause-76622-.htm

Just a thought, but check your pockets. Mine keeps going off when other things in my pockets hit the panic button. They should have recessed it more. My '05 Escape does have a battery in the remote; very easy to replace and uses a common watch battery. Let us know what you find.
On 1/5/2013 7:18 PM, Debbie wrote:

First off, is it a factory or after market alarm system? I had an after market system in my truck that was notorious for going off in the middle of the night in the winter. Turns out it was a very sensitive glass sensor (designed to activate the alarm should a window be broken). In the cold weather, glass pings and pops a little was the temperature raises and lowers and it was setting it off. Check to see if your alarm has a glass sensor on it. If it does, have the installer or dealer adjust the glass sensor sensitivity.
To answer your other questions: Yes remotes have batteries. However, when those start to die, they typically only effect the ability to arm/disarm your system - frustrating when you have to press and hold 20 times till it works - yes, but not one to usually set your system off.
A low vehicle battery *may* cause the alarm to come on, but again typically you begin to notice trouble starting your car looong before it would trip the alarm. The alarm uses very little juice, and designed to go off if someone is tampering with the car battery, so a battery would have to be very close to dead to set it off... You might want to check to check the wire terminals to the battery to make sure they are tight. Probably not it, but it's a 5 second check to make sure....