PS fluid replace ripoff?

So I had some stuff done today, been wanting to get the PS fluid replaced so I had them do it, lady told me $80! Is this normal? She says its because they use some special machine, Im thinking about $8 worth of ATF and 30 minutes of labor.

I heard theres a DIY way of doing it where you disconnect a line from the resevoir, turn the wheel one way then the other to force it out and do the same to bleed the air out once refilled, but Im thinking this might cause some stress to the steering system since your steering with little or no fluid in there.

One other thing while I'm at it, tie rod ends... easy to do? Does it affect my alignment? I had the alignment done today and they're telling me I need new ones.

Reply to
Petebert

ATF is rarely, if ever, used for power steering these days. There is special fluid for it.

I don't think most pumps have a drain, so it can be difficult to impossible to drain. On some, you can suck out some fluid from the tank, but there will still be alot in the lines and steering rack. I would guess the replacemnt method is similar to the way it's done on transmissions. They remove a hose and connect the output to a waste tank, and the input to fresh fluid. You start the car, and all the fluid is replaced.

The main key is to remove the right hose, and to keep the tank full.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

the owners manuals says to use Mercon ATF as PS fluid.

Reply to
Petebert

Ford still uses Mercon V fluid. Although they do have an official P/S fluid also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"Petebert" wrote in news:BiBhc.37$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

$80 to replace PS fluid is outrageous. They've already paid for that machine ten times over at that rate.

Reply to
donutbandit