Putting Supercharger on 5.0L

I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on how I could put a supercharger on a 5.0 engine? Any links or anything would help.

Thanks

Reply to
zerozero

Is this for a Mustang? Even if not, then you might consider popping over to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang. In your post you might want to include what year and model of car, as well as the condition and mileage of the engine.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

no, this is for a 86 ford f150 truck and the engine is in good condition and has a little over 120k miles on it

Reply to
zerozero

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:30:39 -0500, wrote:

At 120K, your engine is in no shape to add a blower regardles how good it seems to be now. I have installed a couple of blowers on the 5.0 in trucks. The only way to do the job for the average Joe with no advanced automotive engineering skills should look for a complete kit that includes each and every fuel, emissions & fuel control componet that is selected to work together. As far as reliability, you can count on going exclusively to premium fuel with a blower. The increased output resulting from a blower or turbo will result in doubling the load on various engine components resulting in shorter life and reduced reliability. If you still use your 5.0 truck as a truck, you will need upgrades on your cooling system including oil and water as well as the transmission. I assume you have an automatic. The manual in the F150 doesn't stand much of a chance behind a blower. An automatic can be modified and beefed to somewhat handle the job. Again, if you tow much weight, the trans reliablilty will be greatly reduced. You wil also need a complete exhaust system from the engine back to let the engine breath once you do this. Your area may require a cat converter. You may never be able to get it to pass emissions if your area requires testing. Any way you go at this, you must realize it is an expensive proposition. You may want to consider a much newer truck to do this on as a complete blower kit with mods done right is going to set you back over $5kUS - More if you build the engine into proper mechanical condition to handle the job.

You are going to hear many of the good things about a blwer or turbo which are probably true. You should understand this project is not for the mechanically marginal nor weak of financial resources. My brother is stil wrenching on a Bronco he decided to blow a few years ago. Since he has refused to give it up, he has invested well over $50k in the powertrain in less than 50k miles. Right now, it is sidelined awaiting another mod to help reliability. He has finally gone to a stock 351 powered Bronco for a daily driver which he finds much more enjoyable to drive than the blown 5.0 Bronco. He also now has the ability to tow his four wheelers on a trailer w/o fear of destroying the trans or melting a piston. It is much easier to abuse the engine and trans without even knowing it with a blower.

Reply to
lugnut