Q: '67 Galaxie and gas

I just purchased my first 'vintage' car and now I'm wondering if it will run on unleaded gas. will it or do I have to add some additive?
thanks, steve

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

shows, general cruising, etc you will be fine on unleaded. If the car will be used like a "second car" a lead substitute will be needed. The best solution would be to have hardened valve seats installed in the heads. Your 67 is a good looking car, I had a 67 XL some years ago.
thanks for the info - I'll ask the seller if he worked on the heads. the car will be for my daugther, which will be driven every day, but not much more then to/from school and work.
thanks again, steve
She is your oldest daughter, right?
mike hunt

yes, why do you ask???
steve
Mike Hunter wrote:

It's advised to add a lead additive.To run unleaded gas in older cars, hardened valve seats need to be installed or damage may result.
I do not run any additives in any of my older cars, and they are all original. I have put 40k miles on the 428 in the 66 7 litre, 25k on the hi-po 289 in the 65 falcon, 35k on the 200 6 cylinder in the 64 falcon, and 60k on the 351M in the 79 F250

It's gonna be a shame when you need valve jobs on all of them prematurely.

well I think that after 25 years on the "newest" one, if it don't need a valve job now it aint gonna need one soon

Don't push them hard they'll most likely be okay. My '65 Pontiac 2+2 with a 421 hasn't had any valve issues yet. And when it does I guess I'll just fix it then. Won't kick myself after 40 years. Well maybe I will, that I didn't get 60 years out of it !!!
Terry

well like i said before, after 39 years of nothing but unleaded gas, if it did not go by now, i am not going to worry about it. the 7 litre now has close to 95k miles. i got it from my father who bought it new. and when i take it out, i run it hard. it will still smoke the rear tires going into 4th gear at 90 mph.(before the unleaded only we ran amoco high test unleaded)

Excellent choice of car. My first car was a '67 Galaxie 500 two door hardtop (fastback). I currently drive a '68 Galaxie 500 two door hardtop. The Galaxies are very reliable cars. One thing you want to check to be sure the vehicle is safe is the frame. The '65-'68 full-size Fords are notorious for frame rot under the doors and around the rear axle. My '67 was rotted in those areas pretty badly, so I sold it being as how I had my '68 which was in excellent condition.
As far as unleaded gas... Don't worry about it. My '67 had 202,000 miles on it when I sold it and was within 3 psi on each cylinder of the 289. Those little 289's are excellent engines. They are known as the "forever engine". Running those lead substitutes and lead additives is a waste of money. They do not add nearly the same amount of lead as was in gas back in the day, and they do not contain the other chemicals which made the lead stay in a gaseous form after combustion. The lead additives will leave deposits on your valves and weld the lead deposits to your exhaust valve. When the time comes for a rebuild and valve job if you are concerned about unleaded gas just have hardened exhaust valve seats pressed into the head. Then it will be a non-issue.
Just drive the car, enjoy it, and don't worry about gas. If you've got a 289 in that thing it will run on anything, unlike the alter 302's which require at elast 89 octane. The 352 and 390 are also very reliable engines. For a daily driver these big old Fords are excellent choices. Very reliable and when they do need attention it's always something simple. The only downside is gas mileage, which is typically in the 14-16 MPG range. The highest I've ever seen from my Galaxies is ~17.5 MPG on the highway, which isn't too bad considering the weight and aerodynamics. With current gas rpices the point of diminishing returns is just over 20 MPG.
Anyhow, enjoy the car and don't worry about unleaded gas.
Cory

On 28 Sep 2005 07:06:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It should run just fine on unleaded fuel. I would suggest the 89 octane. In my younger days when these were new cars, many people felt that Amoco "white gas" which was their premium was the best fuel for almost any car. It was unleaded. We used it in anything that needed "high test" and a lot of things that did not.
The problem with unleaded gas where hardened exhaust valve seats are not installed is valve recession. This almost never happens in engines which are not constantly subjected to high RPM or heavy loads. My suggestion to you is to use the 89 octane rated fuel and enjoy the car until there is a problem which is unlikely. If it developes a problem requiring valve work, that will be the time to install the hardened valve seats. Any machine shop that can do a decent valve job should be able to install the valve seats. The benefit to this approach is all the free miles you will get before it needs anything if ever. Just save the money until or unless the job is needed and get some sleep. The cost will be exactly the same if a problem developes as it is right now when there is no problem.
Lugnut
thanks everyone for all the advise and info! I can't wait to take delivery!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&itemE78577872
steve

congrats on getting the car
When I tell my daughter, she'll freak!!! can't wait for that either. I'll be seeing her this weekend.
steve
Steve Kulpa wrote:

Wow, you bought your daughter a cool old Ford instead of a Corolla? Wanna adopt a 43 year old son?
Actually, I have 2 kids approaching driving age. My daughter is going to get the 84 Mark VII. My son "thinks" he'll be getting the 66 7-Litre....snicker, snicker.....yea,right. If gas keeps going up he'll be cruising a pedal car.
Good luck with the 67. It looks like the car had AC at one time. Might not be too hard to find the missing pieces.