Quality of the 2005 Taurus SE

Page 1 of 2
To what extend can rust be expected on a brand new car?
I am asking this question as I took ownership of a 2005 Taurus SE. After lifting the hood on Monday to show of my new toy I found an
amount of rust on the cylinder heads and other cast iron parts inside the engine compartment.
I went back to the dealer on Wednesday after I spoke to my sales person and the manager took this up with me. This is of course a nice gesture but not really helping me out a lot. In the lot we opened three hoods of brand new cars and the cylinder heads and other parts were also covered in rust. This proofed that either the dealership is not taking care of their new vehicles or that Ford has switched to cheaper production methods. Times are tough and working in a manufacturing plant myself I understand that saving a dime here and there can add up to huge cost savings.
I would however expect a new car to be free of rust on the painted parts of the engine. I understand an exhaust manifold would become rusty easily as it heats up. Cylinder heads do too of course but shouldn't they be better protected by a coated layer of special paints? I know for sure if we were to deliver our products with rusty engines that our dealers would not accept the machines at all.
Communicating with 2004 Taurus SE owners has given me enough feedback to question the quality of the 2005 Taurus SE cars. Two persons have indicated that they had no rust on their 2004 Taurus SE engines. Even now after a year they still see little or no rust.
My letter to Ford will most likely be delivered next week but somehow I feel that little will be done.
I do not want to start a flame war here and I am overall satisfied with the car, it is just eating at me that I had not noticed this when I took the car for a test drive.
Strange indeed. The engine of my '99 SE Duratec is as rust free as the day it came from the dealer and I live in a really humid climate.
Eric
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:02:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:

Remember the Duratec has mostly aluminum parts that do not rust. My 99 Merc Sable also had the DOHC engine and had no rust whatsoever.
I am particularly looking for the Vulcan engines.
Thanks for the reply.
Al
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:25:21 -0500, Aldert E. van der Laan

OK, I have a Taurus Vulcan 3.0 liter in a 2003 Merc Sable ( same car ). It had rust on it from Day One. On the exhaust manifolds, and on the heads where the spark plugs go in. Obviously these are non-aluminum alloy. High iron content, possibly cast iron.
My concern is rust-through on the manifolds, but I don't know what to do to slow down the process, as those things get _hot_ and would burn-off anything I could apply to them.
Lg

(Eric Toline)

High temp paint will work. They don't get as hot as you think.

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 06:49:06 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:

I was adviced not to put on any high temp paint from a mechanic at the Ford dealership. The dealership was actually offering to paint the cylinder heads with a high temp paint but the people that need to do the work told us that it is of no use, it might hold for a month or for a week and the end result might be worse.
(Eric Toline)

cast iron manifolds. It wont hurt anything, just as the surface rust on them now will not hurt anything. The thing you need to realize.....it's an engine, not the interior of the car, so some parts have surface rust, big deal, get over it. The rust will not "eat" away the manifolds.
On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 08:59:25 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:
It seems that this issue was brought up years ago:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_rust.html
Now that I did a specific search on it.
Just consulted a mechanic that told me that in fact it is okay for cast iron to rust. It will give it a protective layer. He also explained that it may not look really nice but that it is okay and so I am at ease with it now.
Thanks for all your replies.
Al

Je kan ook naar Californie verhuizen, hier roesten ze niet..........
Johan

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:22:01 -0500, Aldert E. van der Laan

The rust does in fact provide a protective coating to cast iron which can be a protective as a coat of paint over the long haul. The problem that is sometimes found in painting cast iron items is that the paint will sometimes de-laminate from the surface on things that are continuously cycled between hot and cold providing a place for moisture to collect which promotes corrosion. The rust coating tends to "breath" for the lack of a better term at the moment allowing the moisture to be driven from the coating as soon as the engine starts to warm and reduces the rate of corrosion overall. This is not true of sheet steel product which do need to be protected by a coat of paint or plating. Non-ferrous materials also have no particular need for a paint coating. The white oxide coating it aquires with exposeure will provide good protection. Don't look too purrty but, works. If you want to get more technical, I am sure there is a metallurgist somewhere in the group to further explain.

(Eric Toline)

It will take about 200 years of daily operation of the car for the manifolds to rust through.
Jeff

Let us hope so. I had a Fiat that rusted through an exhaust manifold. That was 45 years ago, and the car was used when I bought it. Maybe -this- cast iron is thick enough (seems to be plenty thick) that it will not burn through.
I also see that the air conditioning compressor mounting bracket is cast iron, and well-rusted. That I don't care about as much, as it seems beefy enough for the load with the design of it. Lots of I-brace designs in it.
Anyhow, I agree it is not a big deal.
Because at least an exhaust manifold is a small and easy to get to thing ( at least the one in the front of the vehicle is, can't say about the back Bank 1 manifold ), and once you have the new part, can't take but an hour or so to replace each one.
I'm certain the heads are of no concern whatsoever, due to their massive design.
Lg
(Eric Toline)

I used to take appart engines for my dad's company that rebuilt engines. I have never seen a manifold show anything that indicates real damage from rust. We used glasss beader (which is like a sand blaster in a cabinet) to clean the manifolds. The part numbers that were cast on the manifolds were always visible after beading them. So I really doubt that they get any damage from rust.
The other thing is that they are dry (at least on the outside) because they get hot. Any water evaporates pretty fast. And they are covered by the hood, so unless the weather is really nasty, they won't get wet. And any water that splashes up on them doesn't stay on the manifold long enough to cause rust.
Jeff

The Duratec is aluminum. The other 3.0 is iron.
Jeff

Post pictures of the rust, that would be helpful.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 22:27:33 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:
Will get more detailed pics tomorrow, here is one of the front view of the car, zoom in if you want to see better.
This is when the car had been driven 120km from the dealer in dry conditions.

Nice picture, to bad I cant see it.

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 06:50:43 -0500, "pick one" <try again!> wrote:
Hmmm sent me an email and I will forward it again, just going in now to make more pictures. Did the news server strip the attachment or something? It was about 225K

Ford doesn't paint their iron blocks or heads these days do they? I would think rust on the heads and block is normal even if the car is new. Someplace else to check for rust is under the dash and on the seat tracks and frame. You might even be surprised what ferrous parts under the car are starting to rust. Keep us updated.
@rogers.com says...

I wouldn't worry too much. It will take a VERY LONG time for it to eat enough to cause problems. It's 99% cosmetic. I've had old frame-based cars with frames that look horrible, but are actually still very strong.