Question: 98 Windstar Transmission

I have a 98 Ford Windstar with a 3.8 engine. 14 months ago I had the tranny rebuilt. Now, when I am driving down the highway at 65 or 70 the tranny drops down into 1st and 2nd gear causing the engine to over rev and the van to slow. I then have to pull off the side, hit the flashers and drive 30 miles per hour until it starts driving right again. I took it back to AAMCO and they told me it would need to be rebuilt again. They charged me $2000 last time to rebuild the transmission. What could be causing this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
JeffinMS

Since you're not getting any other opinion, I'll offer one; if I were you, I'd get a second opinion elsewhere. A local transmission shop told me I needed a new transmission for a Volvo, so I took it to Volvo for a second opinion and they found the real problem for a LOT less. Even full-time transmission shops can make a mistake. My problem wasn't that the transmission was bad, but a control part was failing. Your problem sounds to me like a controls issue and all the whirly, greasy parts inside may be OK.

However, if you haven't already, pull the dipstick from the transmission today and if the fluid doesn't look good (uniformly red or dark red) or smells burnt or looks crusty on the stick - well, those are bad signs and a rebuild may be in the cards. I've been there. If that's the case here, you have my heartfelt sympathy.

Reply to
DH