Question about an "88 Grand Marquis

I just rec'd a 88 Grand Marquis with 100k miles on it & I have some questions about it.

It is leaking oil from as far as I can tell is the oil pan. I am NO mechanic however, and was curious to see if this is common on these vehicles and poll the group to see what they beleive the cost would be to fix the leak.

I know it can vary depending on where you live & such.

The car's interior is near mint & there are only a couple of small areas on the body where some surface rust is showing.

Without seeing this vehicle, do the people of this group think that this car is worth keeping and repairing?

What kind of history do these cars have as far as common repair problems?

I really don't want to sink too much into it ($1000) or less to get it into solid running condition.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mr. Stein

I had a 91 Crown Victoria (basically same as the Grand Marquis) that had 200K when I sold it. It was a great car. An 88 Grand Marquis with 100K on it is not bad. These cars are workhorses and the 302 V8 is strong and pretty much bulletproof. You should make sure the oil leak is not coming from a plugged up PCV valve/screen assembly on top of the engine in the back, which is common on these vehicles to happen. Also make sure its not a valve cover gasket leaking. But even if it is coming from the oil pan, it should still be worth fixing, as the car will probably easily go another 100K.

Reply to
SizzleMP