Question about Ford AOD TV cable & passing gear cable.

Standing in FRONT of the car looking at the engine,Is the passing gear cable on the left side of the throttle butterfly, or the right (drivers side)
The smaller/thinner cable under the upper intake is unhooked. Is this the TV cable, or the passing gear cable ? Thanks,
(1989 LTD Crown Vic, 302 5 liter)
HR
HoganRadial wrote:

That cable is the TV cable and controls the Throttle Valve pressure in the transmission. Running with it disconnected will burn up the trans in very quick order (as little as 5 miles). The cable is attached to the throttle lever via a plastic bushing that deteriorates over time and falls off. Ford has a brass replacement for about $5. DON'T drive the car until you replace the bushing, not even to the parts store.

Everything stated above is true. I just wanted to add that there is no additional "passing gear cable." The TV cable is responsible for everything. It's also much more serious than it was in the old days when you had a "kick down rod" disconnected, because the internal transmission pressure is entirely determined by the TV cable.
CJB
To add the "why".... these transmissions don't have a vacuum modulator to sense engine load.... Instead, they use rpm and throttle angle (position through a proper adjusted TV cable.... no, going to a satellite dish wont help) to determine the appropriate line pressure.

Atta boy, snarky! ;)
you pay..DEAL with it!
Very well documented. Little plastic bushing, maybe $0.50 worth. Wears out in a few years. 99% of driving population has near zero idea of how tranny works/doesn't-work.
Five miles or so and they burn up a very expensive tranny.
I hereby nominate the 50 cent bushing as the "Supreme Fordmobile Engineering/Manufacturing Boondoggle Of The 1980's".
Anybody gotta more worthy candidate?
Inertia switch for the 1990's? :-)
Salut, Puddin'
On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 00:04:15 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old.