Question about Ford Focus aftermarket radio...

As part of my stormchasing, I needed to replace the Blaupunkt in my 2003 US Ford Focus. I installed an old Radio Shack AM/FM/CD/ Weatherband; the deck had previously been in a 88 Ranger without any
problems.
Got the proper wiring adapter, but the best match of wires would either a) cause my presets and clock to go away after each time I turned the car off, or alternately b) burn out the backlight on the display, which it did in short order. Still this wasn't a problem until I forgot to take the detachable faceplate off when I went out of town and the battery ran down.
The old deck shows signs of old age and I am looking to get a new deck, and am wondering if there is any way to make sure this doesn't happen again, or are newer decks engineered so this isn't a problem?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

www.crutchfield.com, they have lots of info regarding auto wiring and what fits your vehicle.
--
I. Care
Damon Hynes wrote:

Put the original AM/FM/CD back in the car & get a decent scanner if you're really serious about "stormchasing". The built-in weatherband is a compromise... even a GMRS/FRS w/ weather & weather alert would be a better option.
Rob