Question about hydraulic valve-lifters

Hi all, I run an european Escort -99, with the Zetec engine fitted, it's a 1600cc with 16 valves. The thing is, when coldstarting, one or more of the hydraulic valve lifters seem to generate excessive noise, quite a
while until the engine is warm. I've heard it's possible to help this by using special motor-oils, to clean the lifters, and make them "tight" like when new. Any advice is appreciated, Best regards, Stefan from Sweden.
On 5 Mar 2006 12:39:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bredband.net wrote:

ford recommends oil additive made by GMC
lubricity
h u r c
snipped-for-privacy@bredband.net wrote:

I will give you empirical advice, only. I dont believe in additives, generally... but I have had both pushrod and overhead cam engines with that problem in the past.
Since I have started using Mobil 1 synthetic, however, even with extended oil change intervals, ...and several cars with more than 185,000 miles on them...I havent heard a peep or click out of lifters or lash adjusters.
My son has a 16 valve 4 that does have the problem. However, he began to use Mobil 1 about 1500 miles ago and he says it has improved significantly in that short time.
While the cost is significantly higher, as I said I go for longer periods -15,000 plus - between changes... with no known engine problems... i tore down one of my 2.3 OHC's at 185,000 mi. and you would not believe how clean the inside of the engine was.
BUT... if your cold start/drive cycles are short, it isnt wise to go for extended change intervals UNLESS you drive it for a decent distance at least once a week...meaning, I would think a highway trip of more than 45 minutes or so.
Just my opinion
you pay..DEAL with it!