Question about painting of brake assembly

Greetings,

I am working on the brake system to a 1954 Ford F-100 and am sandblasting the last 50 years of rust and gunk away. I have the whole brake plate and assembly off the suspension and laying on my work bench. Anyway, the question is, once cleaned, is there a good all-purpose, one coat paint I can use? Or, do I need to prime it and then paint?

Reply to
Spy Fox

I've seen some use Tremclad high heat with ok results. (powder coat would be ideal)

Reply to
Some ga

Tremclad should work fine... you might also consider a 2 part epoxy paint. Before finishing the plates, check the area where the edge of the shoes sit (usually 3 small pads for each shoe). I have had good luck migging any grooves and grinding them flush.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the info. I ended up going with POR 15 from the paint jobber shop. I have never heard of Tremclad, will have to look for it next time.

A powder coat system would be sweet, but not for me in a small garage on a hobby basis.

Reply to
Spy Fox