Question about Taurus transmission

Hi everyone, I've got a question. My brother has a 96 taurus (I believe). The problem is: When trans is cold trans shifts fine. After about 10-15 minutes of driving it stops shifting. This is an intermittant problem so far. He has been told that there is a known problem with a bad solenoid in the transmission. Has anyone heard of this problem? I think he took it to a tranny shop and they told him it would cost $1000+ (not sure of total amount). Just would like some advise if he's headed in the right direction or wasting his time with this solenoid theory.

TIA, Chris

Reply to
Chris

it could also be the vehicle speed sensor or the wires leading to it that have frayed or a bad connection onto the Veh. speed sensor... the veh. speed sensor cost about $50 tops and the cost of him fixing a loose or frayed wire is pretty cheap also... take the car in to auto zone and get them to check the "check engine light" a bad veh. sensor will not put the light on but will be stored in memory and if so it will show up.. i had one go out in a 93 taurus and you would be driving along a 40 mph and it would downshift and the car would bog down for a second or two and continue to run OK... and one day it went out completely and i had to drive 20 mile at 10 mph all the way home.... it was like it was locked into first gear... cause stretched wires( i did this when changing the motor mounts in the car about one month earlier........ hope this helps.

Reply to
jim