Question about Taurus transmission

Hi everyone, I've got a question. My brother has a 96 taurus (I believe). The problem is: When trans is cold trans shifts fine. After about 10-15 minutes of driving
it stops shifting. This is an intermittant problem so far. He has been told that there is a known problem with a bad solenoid in the transmission. Has anyone heard of this problem? I think he took it to a tranny shop and they told him it would cost $1000+ (not sure of total amount). Just would like some advise if he's headed in the right direction or wasting his time with this solenoid theory.
TIA, Chris
Chris wrote:

that have frayed or a bad connection onto the Veh. speed sensor... the veh. speed sensor cost about $50 tops and the cost of him fixing a loose or frayed wire is pretty cheap also... take the car in to auto zone and get them to check the "check engine light" a bad veh. sensor will not put the light on but will be stored in memory and if so it will show up.. i had one go out in a 93 taurus and you would be driving along a 40 mph and it would downshift and the car would bog down for a second or two and continue to run OK... and one day it went out completely and i had to drive 20 mile at 10 mph all the way home.... it was like it was locked into first gear... cause stretched wires( i did this when changing the motor mounts in the car about one month earlier........ hope this helps.