Question about window deflectors

I've been looking at the window deflectors that go around all the car windows, front and back. They look nice, and people claim you can crack the windows without worrying about rain and wind noise. However, my question is what do they sound like when the windows are all the way down? Do they cut wind noise at all, or are they just useful when the windows are just cracked a bit?

Thanks.

Reply to
Sheldon

I can't give you specifics but my sister put some on her F-150 and was very disappointed in the results.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

F-150 here too. Same disappointment. In fact, the extra width cuts diagonal visiblilty even more than the extra-thick A-pillars do.

Reply to
JKevorkian

I put a set on my '02 Super Crew and I wouldn't be without them... Had them on my '93... and on my Explorer, too. They will be on my next truck as well.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Just get the ones that cover the top of the window. Those work fine for keeping the rain out with the window open about a third. Good for smokers.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

I put them on my car. VentVisor I think. Wouldn't be without them.

Put them on my 99 Intrigue, 93 Intrepid, 95 Grand Prix, and my girlfriend (at the time) 2002 Grand Cherokee. Going to get a set for my daughters 2004 Grand Cherokee as a gift soon.

I can't put them on my Mustang Convertible, and really miss them.

First, they DO let you crack the window. At least the front. Depending on car up to twice the coverage of the unit itself in the rain. If your rear windows are the kind that 'slope down', then putting them on could turn the window into a 'scoop'. Might be nice on non-rainy days, but I suspect not too good in a storm.

They seem to make most cars quieter, but not all.

They do impede vision a bit if you are tall and look out the top few inches of the window. They are not opaque, but tinted, so you can still see.

In the summer, you can crack the window a bit, maybe an inch or more on some cars, and you can't see the window open from the outside. Makes a BIG difference on hot summer days if any air can move through the car. If you're scared it's going to rain, only crack the windows on one side so the rain won't 'blow through'.

You CANNOT use these things with Ski Hikers. Ski Hikers grab the window and 'bump up' the arm inside the overlap of the vent, meaning you cannot close the window with the ski hiker in place. I called the Ski Hiker people about it and their attitude was 'so what'. All they would have to do was change the arm slightly so that it stayed flush to the glass about another inch and it'd be fine.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

I was hoping they would quiet the car when the window was all the way down. I don't smoke, so I don't need to crack a window open, and I've got AC, so if I need to cool off I can just turn it on. :-) Sometimes it's just nice to roll the windows all the way down, and it would be nicer if you could have a conversation with the passenger while doing this.

Reply to
Sheldon

Well, like I said. Some cars they quiet down , but it's also speed dependent as well. Just have to try.

I had one car that if I put down all the windows was IMPOSSIBLE to drive at

60 in the 55mph days. It set up a wierd thumping oscillation. I had to raise one of the windows half way. Would they have helped? Quite possibly. On my Intrepid they did seem to quiet things a bit if I opened JUST the drivers window.
Reply to
Mike Y

Yeah. I've found that if you open the right combination of windows just the right amount you can alter the noise quite a bit. A sunroof adds even more options to the equation. And I am familiar with that thumping thing. Hurts my ears.

Reply to
Sheldon